• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    This is for anyone who's had one or knows someone who does.

what is the life span of one of these? generally GM motors last just shy of forever. but I've never dealt with the 2.9 before

second, is the lack of torque super noticeable? I had an old 4.3 S10, so that's kinda what I'm comparing to. I don't tow anything, and rarely carry anything heavy.

Thanks!

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I cant comment on the lifespan, but I have driven one.
    Its definetly no 4.3L v6. Lets just say that.
    Its missing 1.4L and a cylinder...yes, its noticeable. So is the MPG difference which may appeal to you if you aren't towing/hauling.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    for a very light duty pickup it does everything you need and gets way better mileage then a 4.3l but it wont tow more then maybe a small trailer without really struggling. but halls 4 adults no problem down the road :welcome:

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    dont need it to haul a trailer. most it'll ever have is some mulch in the bed for about 4 miles. other than that, it'll be lumber, shooting target setups, appliances, etc. I'm a city guy, I just need a truck for regular household duties... and to get me through snow. I hate 2wd only in snow (however, RWD is great fun if you have 4wd to get you out of trouble), and I hate using vacation time because of the weather.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    then this truck would fill everything you just asked for. no it wont be a fast truck, it wont jump the grand canyon, and it aint goin mudding. but will get through snow and take you and the family around. plus the engine is stupid easy to work on! get a crew cab version. the extended cab can barely fit a kid back there lol.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    well, the particular one I found is extended cab. I have trouble accepting a crew cab, with the tiny bed I'd about be better off getting a Trailblazer or something like that. going to go see if my car seat will fit in the back today. if it does, i'll be getting it.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    good luck hope it works for you. but im telling you that extended cab is TINY!! the crew cab eats about a 1 foot of your bed but its so much more roomy and the beed is still about 5ft long!

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    welp, the deal on this particular truck fell through... so back to square one, and getting closer and closer to snow :(

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    good luck hope it works for you. but im telling you that extended cab is TINY!! the crew cab eats about a 1 foot of your bed but its so much more roomy and the beed is still about 5ft long!

I looked at Colorado crew cabs when I was looking for a truck a couple of years ago, nice truck, but even the crew was too small for me. I ended up with a Silverado extended cab. All 6 in my family fit in it (the back is a little tight on long trips). I ended up needing to tow fairly regularly, so I'm glad I went bigger.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    well my problem with that is two fold: size and money. I live on a busy street, and the car will be in the garage, so the truck will need to be on the street. the less it sticks out the better. (we get about 3-4 wrecks a year in front of our house) and my budget is around $8K. this truck was a great deal, but it had high mileage, and they wouldn't work with me on price, so I walked. they were about $20/month above my price point, but you've got to draw the line somewhere.

Top Bottom