Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Chiappa

Mine started out good and has turned ugly quickly. I would not
    recommend one.
    My gun shop guy told me to spend another $50 on a better pistol,
    and I didn't. I will listen to him next time.
    It will shoot straight, when you can get it to work.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've heard many many many good things about the GSG pistol.

I've not heard many good things about the Chiappa.

-J-

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Get the GSG. You'll save yourself a phone call by inspecting it for the steel barrel bushing vs the cast aluminum one they originally came with. Doesn't cost anything for the importer to replace it, but if you catch it in advance you'll save yourself the bother. Mines got about 5000 rounds through it and the aluminum bushing just gave up the ghost.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The Chiappa uses a lightweight alloy slide. It is good enough for what it does. However!! The slide stops against the frame of the pistol when fired. This cause the corner, (made between the diameter that rides against the barrel and the stopping surface) to deform slightly. Just enough to make taking it apart nearly impossible without a hammer. For whatever reason, they left all the corners sharp when manufacturing. Probably becasue hiring a bunch of de-burr people is expensive. So, you get to be your own de-burr guy. :)

The fix is to go in there and break the sharp edge to about a .030 or .040 45 deg chamfer. I used a rat tail file. If you have patience, a smooth stone and a dremel will do the same thing. This will keep it from binding and failing to lock open on the last round. Every once in a while you may need to de-burr it again if it begins to develop another lip.

Since the slide rides on the barrel, it is CRITICAL that you keep this surface well lubed or it will wear the slide out.

Since the slide works on a modified browning blow back action, you HAVE to run the good stuff. CCI mini mags ONLY. If you try to fire white box through it, it will fail.

The trigger is a little rough, but functional. Squeeze it hard and fast and it'll give you a crisp surprise break.

Personally, I like the lack of a grip safety for both comfort and it's one less thing to go wrong.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have a GSG 1911 and its been flawless with pretty much any ammo I have thrown its way. They did have to send me a rubber washer and the bushing because mine was bending. But I got the stuff within a week or two. Very happy with the gun and customer support. I bought it from 21st Century last year, I think it was 319 but Im not 100% sure.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Mine started out good and has turned ugly quickly. I would not
    recommend one.
    My gun shop guy told me to spend another $50 on a better pistol,
    and I didn't. I will listen to him next time.
    It will shoot straight, when you can get it to work.

DSG is the one that was recommended to me, and I choose the
    Chiappa. That ladies and gentlemen, was a BIG mistake.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Forget the Chiappa. I've heard the GSG 1911-22 is a good gun.

I've heard many many many good things about the GSG pistol.

I've not heard many good things about the Chiappa.

-J-

These ^. If it's between a Chiappa and a GSG, definitely go for the GSG, but make sure you get all the upgrades and the original round guide rod (vs. the X type).
    If it's "anything goes", go for a Buckmark. :)

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I shot a Chiappa 1911-22 and hated it! Trigger was horrible and accuracy was mediocre. In fact the guy who owned it sold it in like a week. It functioned fine but that was about it. I have looked at the GSG's and they were pretty nice but I would probably get a Ruger MKIII 22/45 RP. Not exactly ergonomically like a 45 but after all it's a Ruger and you can be sure the quality/accuracy will be there.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto

I've been to a lot of gun shops across the country over the past coule months. The concensus is that the Chiappa is junk.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto

I've been to a lot of gun shops across the country over the past coule months. The concensus is that the Chiappa is junk.

Also check put the beretta neos. Cheap, reliable, easy to strip, and very accurate. Looks are subjective but i think they look cool.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Get the GSG1911... You will never regret it.

The Chiapa looks like a 1911, but it does not share any major components with a real 1911. The GSG1911 shares more than 75% of it's components with any standard 1911... Now that's quality!

My GSG1911 has more than 13,000 verified rounds down the tube since last fall, and it still runs like a Timex watch.

mygsg1911.jpg

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/832/file23969.mp4/

Last edited:

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    That GSG is SWEET! I gotta get a look at one of those. The beretta is a little too "space age ray gun" for me. Kinda like the benelli nova. I prefer classic looks. But thats just me.

Top Bottom