• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Apparently Chiappa will be adding RFID chips to the firearms "in the next few months" according to a press release. Even though guns already have serial numbers to uniquely identify them, RFIDs open up a number of new capabilities, not all positive. RFIDs work fine for inventory control, but they don't turn off after purchase, allowing someone to be able to identify your firearm without your even being aware of it and even if you are carrying concealed.

I wander if other manufacturers are heading in this direction? Now where's my tin foil... :tinfoil:

Chiappa Firearms Introducing RFID Trackers in their Firearms

Press Release (in Italian) - can be translated using Google Translate.

So NOW we will have to get metallic HOLSTERS for our guns...so that as we carry, folks can't walk by and read the RFID chips? What a dumb*ss idea this is. Sounds like this company is caving in to the anti-gun zealots.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Right to the top of my "I would never do business with you" list.

Check out the photo; the area over the RFID even SAYS "Gun Tracer".
    RomeoTangoBravo: Chiappa Firearms to RFID Chip their firearms...

CHIAPPARFIDtag.JPG

jon159753

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Avon, IN
    I wonder if frying the chip would be like removing the serial numbers? I know its not illegal to fry the chip now, but if other companies hop on board things could change?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Besides, you could easily pull that off and smash it.

From the article: "It is difficult to remove, therefore the microchip accompanies the weapon forever"

No, thanks. Just the fact that the company would CHOOSE to do it is a "no go" in terms of making a sale to me. :twocents:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Active tags broadcast a signal, so they have a much longer read range—300 feet or more—than passive tags. <snip> In general, low-frequency and high-frequency tags tags are read from within three feet (1 meter) and UHF tags are read from 10 to 20 feet. Readers with phased array antennas can increase the read range of passive tags to 60 feet or more.
    RFID Journal - FAQS - Q&A Section about RFID Uses & RFID Technology - RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) Technology News & Features

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    This sounds much better. The RFID will be on the outside of the gun and easily removable instead of inside the frame as the original picture showed. They can use RFID for their own manufacturing and distribution all they want. But once it becomes mine, they don't have any right to continued tracking.

Also, looks like they are acknowledging and taking responsibility for the poor press release that helped to inflame the argument. Sounds good all the way around. Much better. :yesway:

bluto67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    that's acceptable. they use rfid chips in our cars at work to track them and print out build info. not sure where they are but i think in the right rocker panel. as long as i can freely remove and dispose of the chips that'll work. i don't believe the chips in our cars are removable, but i've been wrong before.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    OK, they will take care of the unwanted chip problem, but what are they going to do about the low quality? I would not expect it to feel like a pistol from Kimbers custom shop, but these feel pretty poor. I handled a new one yesterday and all I could think of was where to you put in the roll of caps.

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Great, it's not enough that I have to wear a tin-foil hat now I have to make my holsters out of the stuff!:n00b:

Actually about five seconds in the microwave will "fix" most RFID chips.

Last edited:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I would avoid buying, not because of the RFID chip, but because of their attitude and response to genuine concerns of some gunowners (regardless of how tight their tinfoil hats are). A professional response from a firearms company that wants to expand it's American market would do well not to alienate it's target audience. Looking down your nose and making snarky comments doesn't help.

BTW,
    "RFID units can be detected at long ranges with the right equipment, even if the signal is to low to be accuracy read. Hacking RFID systems is always popular at the big hacker conventions. Last year a hacker at DEFCON was able to detect if an individual standing on the ground floor parking lot of the Las Vegas Riviera Hotel was carrying a certain brand of RFID chip from as far away as the 29th floor of the hotel."

Top Bottom