• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I just sent a letter off to American Rifleman...

Dear Editor,

As I was reading the review of the Chiappa Rhino I couldn't help but wonder about its safety. As and engineer I think about such things, and I wonder if the design has been thoroughly tested, specifically with regard to the frame being able to withstand an overcharged cartridge. In the engineering world, if you don't test to failure you really have no idea how strong a design is or what the results of the failure will be. We call this a FMEA (Fault Mode and Effects Analysis).

We have all seen pictures of the aftermath of double charges or of firing another cartridge with a squib stuck in the barrel. Eventually, someone, somewhere will experience this in a Chiappa Rhino, even if using only factory ammunition. It just happens. Before considering this revolver for purchase I would like to see the results of overload testing, specifically revolvers that were tested to failure.

In an overload situation, the design of a standard revolver results in the failure of the top strap and the resulting shrapnel, if you will, will be moving in a more or less upward direction, away from the shooters hand -- not that this is a "safe" situation by any means. In the case of the Rhino, we can assume that the opposite will happen, and the "bottom strap" will give way, directing the shrapnel into the shooters hand, a very different result, with a much increased chance of serious injury.

I would appreciate your comments, and those of the manufacturer.

Sincerely,
    kludge

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana

Dear Editor,

As I was reading the review of the Chiappa Rhino I couldn't help but wonder about its safety. As and engineer I think about such things, and I wonder if the design has been thoroughly tested, specifically with regard to the frame being able to withstand an overcharged cartridge. In the engineering world, if you don't test to failure you really have no idea how strong a design is or what the results of the failure will be. We call this a FMEA (Fault Mode and Effects Analysis).

We have all seen pictures of the aftermath of double charges or of firing another cartridge with a squib stuck in the barrel. Eventually, someone, somewhere will experience this in a Chiappa Rhino, even if using only factory ammunition. It just happens. Before considering this revolver for purchase I would like to see the results of overload testing, specifically revolvers that were tested to failure.

In an overload situation, the design of a standard revolver results in the failure of the top strap and the resulting shrapnel, if you will, will be moving in a more or less upward direction, away from the shooters hand -- not that this is a "safe" situation by any means. In the case of the Rhino, we can assume that the opposite will happen, and the "bottom strap" will give way, directing the shrapnel into the shooters hand, a very different result, with a much increased chance of serious injury.

I would appreciate your comments, and those of the manufactur
    Sincerely,
    kludge

Engineers are waaaay to anal! Seriously, just don't buy one if this is your biggest worry. The only other choice would be to purchase one and see if you can get it to fail.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

Dear Editor,

Sincerely,
    kludge

I never though about it sending shrapnel to someone hand & ruining their S E X life:D:laugh:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Never even thought about that. I would be very interested to see what they say. I could see this as a very legitimate concern, please keep us in the loop if you get a response.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    You might have a real concern, maybe not.
    I do wonder however, if every gun made, was subjected to special
    independent engineer testing, how many would pass.
    I really don't know.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Dear Editor,

Sincerely,
    kludge

Might be a good letter to write to the manufacturer as well. They may have already done some failure/negative testing like that.

My concern with it is that it makes the design very complex, with some added gain apparently in having less muzzle flip, but I could get a semi auto with a low bore axis (and therefore less muzzle flip as well) and it would probably have a higher capacity and other benefits (quicker reloads), etc.

Last edited:

SW.Ecks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    LaPorte
    But the Rhino is kinda sexy... I'd like to have one but I'd be a little worried about having it blast my hand off instead of a watermelon downrange.

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    I don't know about the structural integrity but I held all the models yesterday and the balance felt great. Prices were about $800 so I held off. I read that someone is using a rhino in pistol competitions so should be having very high round counts.

Top Bottom