• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Friday I have to take my Wife to the German Consulate, I try to avoid Chicago as much as I can so I am note familiar with their silly knife rules. Will I be alright carrying my ESEE Izula?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Yup, pretty much no useful tool is allowed in Chicago. And all self defense tools are a no no also.

Taser? Not unless you have a FOID card.
    Pepper Spray? Yes, but if you are indoors or anywhere not in the middle of the street it's illegal to use it.
    Baton/Club/hammer/any sort of tool that can be construed or used as a weapon? Nope.
    Gun? OH **** NO!!!

Good thing we have a 2nd amendment...

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Carry a large flat head screwdriver...and if asked if it's a weapon tell em it's for fixing all the loose screws in chitown legislature :)

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Carry a large flat head screwdriver...and if asked if it's a weapon tell em it's for fixing all the loose screws in chitown legislature :)

Good idea, but I'm sure that is illegal also. They have a pretty wide blanket law that prohibits anything remotely dangerous.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    IANAL, but I think it's been discussed before that an Emerson LaGriffe may fall into the Chicago requirements for legality? Maybe a Boker Subclaw?

I made this guy a $50 offer, he never responded:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/knives/233929-emerson_la_griffe.html
    08b70be7.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Boker-Plus-Subcom-Subclaw-Knife/dp/B001BG60CE"]Amazon.com: Boker Plus Subcom Subclaw Knife: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

318i40OFTcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    There are many Chicago legal knives. FWIW, I usually carry a couple of Spyderco Dodos.

Spyderco makes the Urban, the Cat and the Chicago. Maybe a few more that I am not remembering. I bought a Leaf Storm from Brad that really rocks. Cool knife and Chicago legal.

Emerson makes a knife specifically for a collector who lives in Chicago.

Maybe you prefer SOG? Check out the Topo Contour, Mini.

Boker makes several Chicago knives and your wife should like them as they are from the correct country.:D

If I can help, as a former inmate of Chicago, let me know.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    As one who deals with Chicago evey now and then....

- Pepper spray is 100% legal. The city ordinance states that you may not discharge it INDOORS when there are 20, or more, people present.
    -Carry a cane, like a Cold Steel Walking Stick, etc... No law against that, even through secured areas.
    -Chicago PD does not do "stop and frisks" like NYC does, but having the clip of your knife showing will draw their attention. So, clip your knife in the waistband of your pants and appendix carry it.

I would not suggest anyone break the law - so don't. But FYI, most of Chicago's weapons laws are ignored by 100's of thousnads of people a day. And those people are plain, vanilla and boring. They do not draw attention to themselves, and they don't go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things. Because of that, they never interact with law enforcement.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd love to have one of those pens, but the prices are awfully steep. Here's another option from Cold Steel. The tactical maker, or Sharkie, is not as good as the expensive tactical pen, but it an option for use as a blunt force tool.

Cold Steel Pocket Shark : Felt Tip Pen

I like my $10 Jotter, if I anticipate having to actually write:
    511Lq%2B9BG%2BL._AA300_.jpg

In today's day and age, I'm really not writing much though. The shirt pocket/collar admin flashlight (Preon 2) serves the blunt force roll:
    p2_sti_small.jpg

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I like my $10 Jotter, if I anticipate having to actually write:
    511Lq%2B9BG%2BL._AA300_.jpg

In today's day and age, I'm really not writing much though. The shirt pocket/collar admin flashlight (Preon 2) serves the blunt force roll:
    p2_sti_small.jpg

You make a great point, the Jotter pen is great for use in a bad situation. I actually used to carry one with me for that use (and for writing). Looks like I need to buy another one.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm heading to Boston soon, and have the same problem. I don't believe I have a knife that falls into their legal carry definition.

Love the "tactical" pens. I carry my Benchmade daily. Also wear a Spec Ops belt with a heavy steel buckle and Surefire E2D. All of which is perfectly fine to carry on a plane or communist city.

Top Bottom