• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Just heard this on the radio. I've said this time and time again. If you want to wipe out Asian Carp, just get people to start eating them. Good for Chicago taking the lead on this one!

If people think they can get money by catching these stupid fish, they'll wipe 'em out in a month.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have actually eaten carp. An old black man showed me how to clean them, and fried some up. The garlic and butter made it tast pretty good. They are tricky to clean. One nick of the mud vein, and you just have to throw the fish away. In a starvation situation, that might be all there is. Even that said, as long as I have a choice, I'll stick with better varieties of fish.

There is another use for carp. Several years ago I was having trouble making a compost heap work. The stuff was just not decaying. I put a few really large carp in the pile, and in 3 weeks, the compost heap had gone active and things were decaying and turing to rich fertilizer. (good thing it was a long way from the house, odor wise)

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I saw a show where a few towns in more rural areas are having big Carb tournaments where you go purely on weight, and unlike bass or other fishing tournaments, there are no "catch and release" rules.

People were weighing in truck loads of them, and selling them to be ground up and used as organic fertilizer for local farmers. Another good idea that should help with the exploding population.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Tried carp on a backpacking trip at lake monroe-about a 3 pounder. Filleted it like a big bluegill, cut out the dark meat [mud vein, I suppose],grilled it over fire w/salt and pepper. Watch for bones, the only downside. Kinda sweet, like scallops. Would do it again.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    an old timer told me how to cook carp.
    1.get a nice piece of apple or cherry wood
    2.soak it in water for a couple of hours
    3.nail carp to wood
    4.slow cook over an open fire
    5.remove carp from wood and discard the fish
    6.eat the wood
    :rolleyes:

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    They tried that down south with Nutria. Essentially its a big rat, kind of like a muskrat. There is a market for pelts but to get more people hunting them they started promoting eating them. I personally don't mind it but I can see how culturally there is a lot of work to get people used to the idea. Rats I could eat, but not bugs though.

Top Bottom