5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Here you go:
    Indiana Code 35-47-10

No lower bound defined.
    From that link ^:

(6) A child who:
    (A) is on real property that is under the control of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian; and
    (B) has permission from the child's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    (7) A child who:
    (A) is at the child's residence; and
    (B) has the permission of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.1-1995, SEC.78; P.L.203-1996, SEC.2.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN USA
    as I read it, anyone can posses a pistol at home. Therefor I could buy a g19 and a holster for my 13 year old for him to carry in the house? I realize it's not a great idea, just looking for the limits, so I can stay within them.

edit to add: I guess I need to add the complete IC to my reading list. Thank you for your help

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    This section of the code also does NOT apply to:

"(2) A child engaging in practice in using a firearm for target shooting at an established range or in an area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited or supervised by:
    (A) a qualified firearms instructor; or
    (B) an adult who is supervising the child while the child is at the range.
    (3) A child engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code that uses firearms as a part of a performance or an adult who is involved in the competition or performance.
    (4) A child who is hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the child under IC 14-22.
    (5) A child who is traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an activity described in this section."

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    The IC codes are a good thing to know. BUT that being said if I want my child to be armed in the home and have taken the proper steps in teaching that child to be responsible with said armament then I will do what I want in my home!
    I carried a .410 singleshot squirrel and rabbit hunting from the time I was 7 years old until I could handle a 12ga. We NEVER had a problem with COs or LEOs but that was 28 years ago and the COs and LEOs were a different breed back then it seems.
    About a month before my daughter was born we bought her first rifle, a pink stocked Cricket, just in case they may not be available someday. She is only 2 months old and FAR from using it.
    I remember running my trap line at 12&13 with the .22 Marlin 60 my parents bought for my birthday, I ran my line alone and always talked to the CO when I saw him which was rare but still happened and never had a problem. I imagine with the way things are today it would very possibly be a different story.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I started at 5 years old. My nephew could recite safety rules at 2, was allowed to handle (under watchful and close eyes) by 3, and was shooting on his 4th birthday.

Age is merely a number and not a direct reflection of one's intellect or maturity.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I couldn't care less what the State thinks when it comes to MY children or grandchildren.

Since I refuse to even consider what the State thinks about my personal activities with my family, it is then up to me to decide what is appropriate for the individual minor under my supervision and care.

It is called Liberty. I still believe in personal Liberty.

abphotos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    The Region
    as I read it, anyone can posses a pistol at home. Therefor I could buy a g19 and a holster for my 13 year old for him to carry in the house? I realize it's not a great idea, just looking for the limits, so I can stay within them.

edit to add: I guess I need to add the complete IC to my reading list. Thank you for your help

I was around 8 or 9 when I was first allowed to hold an empty gun - which I immediately began figuring out how to field strip. My grandpa and dad both let me "own" guns while visiting in my tweens, and also let me fire them at a range under supervision. Mostly, I just loved having bb guns and hitting old cans in our back yard. Still, I couldn't really imagine me walking around the house carrying one. :):

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Lots of us back in HS would have been in big trouble then since most of us had our window racks filled with something every school day.

Top Bottom