• Which one would you want if the SHTF?

• Total voters

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have my next AR upper narrowed down to these choices. Whichever one I get, the FSB will be shaved/replaced to allow an extended FF tube that will use the standard barrel nut (i.e. Troy VTAC Alpha) Please include an explanation of your choice if you can. Thank you!

Last edited:

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I have the Spikes 14.5" with the dynscomp. Nice light barrel and shoots great.

I just ordered a Troy VTAC Alpha rail today for a build so I can't comment on the rail.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I voted 16" CHF barrel. Reason is because you're not losing any maneuverability going from 14.5 to 16; plus if you ever decide to change rails that have a proprietary nut or change muzzle device or have something go wrong with your gas block, then you're pretty much screwed with a pinned and welded hider. Not totally screwed, but a lot of work to get it off

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I voted 16" CHF barrel. Reason is because you're not losing any maneuverability going from 14.5 to 16; plus if you ever decide to change rails that have a proprietary nut or change muzzle device or have something go wrong with your gas block, then you're pretty much screwed with a pinned and welded hider. Not totally screwed, but a lot of work to get it off
    Agreed. 16" is definitely more versatile and I can put any comp/flash hider that I choose on it. If I go with 14.5", I have to decide right now which one I want because it's going to stay there.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I wanted a rifle as light as I could get it so my son can shoot it. That's the main reason I went with a 14.5". Plus, it was on sale ;)

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I wanted a rifle as light as I could get it so my son can shoot it. That's the main reason I went with a 14.5". Plus, it was on sale ;)
    That's what I'm looking for as well. Light and fast. I'm wondering if the ounces I will save going with a 14.5" lightweight will offset the versatility of the 16". If anyone has a weight comparison it would be much appreciated!

Top Bottom