• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    whats a good all around choke for dove, grouse, quail, and woodcock and best recommended load. this is my first time ever bird hunting so im kinda new to this. i got 80acres of private land and when ever i open my back door 20 doves take off from the sweet corn i bush hogged in my first rows of corn less than 20 yards from me

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    cool cause i got 4 chokes 2 of them i know not to use cause they are turkey chokes but i had an extended port choke and a mod.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I am going pheasant and chukar hunting for the first time. I read game bird blogs and most people said for 2 barrel guns use IC for shot #1 and Mod for shot #2 if you needed an extended range follow-up. This went for pheasant/chukar/dove/quail.

I guess early season they don't bug out as quick and fast as late season so the distance is closer...hence the IC.

I called carlson's chokes and asked figuring someone there would hunt birds and know chokes. He asked me wild birds or put/take...time of year and shot size.

He agreed that IC/Mod for two barrel and for a single shot pump most go with a Mod. He said the ideal would be a Light Modified..best of both worlds since IC = .720, LM = .715 and Mod = .720

That gave me an excuse to buy something so I bought one. Suppose to be ideal for sporting clays as well. I am a green horn but that is what I gathered.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Depends upon the shotgun you are using. If you are using a double, I would suggest Imp Cyl and Mod. If you are using a single barrel, I would go with a modified. You might consider using an Imp Cyl in the single barrel if you had a bird dog that points.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    IC if not more than 20 yards

I prefer to use improved cylinder and 7 1/2 shot for doves, quail and woodcock. You may want to go Mod and 6 shot for grouse, tend to get a lot of brush shots through the trees.

birdslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Walkerton
    I use a Imp cyl early season, for wild birds.with a num 6 heavy 7 for chuks,
    same set up for Put in take Chuks and Ringnecks cause they stick a little better if you get chance to hunt over a good dog.
    Modified late season for wild ringnecks w/ number 5 or a heavy shot 6 Young birds are usually more "Hip" and are either running or flushing early so... youll have to reach out to touch em a little more... Above all pattern your gun and Practice, Practice, Practice, clay's are cheap a great investment "before the hunt". Good Luck

Top Bottom