• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    I'm looking to buy a 9mm for a sidearm to my AR15 when I take classes and seminars. I could only fork out about $400 and I have little to no knowledge about handguns. Where should I start?

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    Hold and shoot as many as you can. Decide which one works best for your needs. Oh an the standard answer is a used Glock 19.

NovemberKilo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    There are literally at least a dozen great options in 9mm and several in your price range if you don't mind looking at used models.

That said, of the firearms I've owned, the Glock 19 is the only real workhorse in my stable. I'm not necessarily the guy that will tell you Glocks are the "best" or the solution for every need (they're not), but my G19 does everything I need it to and does it well. I would start there.

Other choices:

M&P 9mm
    XD 9mm
    CZ 75
    Beretta PX4 Storm

NovemberKilo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Yep handle as many as you can. Read up and decide what caliber you want. Don't settle for something in your price range if you don't really like it.

:yesway:

A couple extra weeks/months of saving has always paid off for me.

Don't let money burn a hole in your pocket and don't let the guy behind the counter talk you into something you're not thrilled with. Find what you like - what you know is a good fit - and save for it.

It's expensive to buy a new gun, sell it at a loss a few months later and then go back in on a higher-shelf model!

chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    What others have said, fondle and shoot as many as you can, what works for some might not work for you. I think that the 9mm is a great round, don't let the .45 group convince you otherwise - with modern JHP rounds the 9mm is effective as long as you do your job and put it where it needs to go). I personally carry a 9mm because of capacity, quicker follow up shots and I shoot it the best.

You need to determine what your purpose of getting a handgun is, I know that you mentioned that you want to use it in conjunction with your AR for classes and sessions. Will you be carrying it daily? If so, open or concealed (please don't turn this into an OC vs CC thread - there are benefits to both), because size matters.

Ultimately, having a 100% reliable handgun that you can carry and shoot confidently is the most important. Really, you can't go wrong with any of the major makers out there. If you find one that you absolutely love but it cost a little more, I would suggest you save a little longer and not settle, you'll end up trading it in for it in the end anyway. Good luck and happy shooting.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You can also add the Ruger SR9 or SR9c to that list.

Definitely handle as many as possible and try to shoot your final candidates before investing.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    You should buy a 10mm, it's one whole millimeter better!

I say, I say, that's a joke son, you do understand jokes don'tcha boy?

Anyway if I were on a tight budget & in the market for a 9mm to use at the range, classes & seminars, I'd probably look for a used departmental trade-in S&W 5906, the 5906 is a bit heavy to lug around all day because they are all stainless steel, but it's that extra bit of weight that makes them real sweet-hearts to shoot.

sinisterright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Hamilton County
    There are literally at least a dozen great options in 9mm and several in your price range if you don't mind looking at used models.

That said, of the firearms I've owned, the Glock 19 is the only real workhorse in my stable. I'm not necessarily the guy that will tell you Glocks are the "best" or the solution for every need (they're not), but my G19 does everything I need it to and does it well. I would start there.

Other choices:

M&P 9mm
    XD 9mm
    CZ 75
    Beretta PX4 Storm

Amen to everything said here. Another plus to buying a used handgun is that you won't constantly be worried keeping it in perfect condition. I have had too many that were just too nice to use. I really like to buy lightly used and then use them heavily.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    There is some great advice on pistols in here; just be warned that what sometimes feels good at the gun store doesn't feel as good when it is at the range. It is a whole other world when it comes time to shoot the gun and if you have the ability to shoot a particular model before buying one then you absolutely need to do it.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    @chewylax8...*Cough* Tell ya what. Go shoot your 9mm, then go shoot a Colt 1911. Then tell me what ya think. There's your answer.

chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    @chewylax8...*Cough* Tell ya what. Go shoot your 9mm, then go shoot a Colt 1911. Then tell me what ya think. There's your answer.

I haven't shot a Colt 1911, but have shot my friend's tuned Dan Wesson, is that good enough? Not saying that the .45 is a bad round, far from it, I would love to have a quality 1911, but for me, when it comes to carrying daily, I would rather carry my $500 Glock 19 and not worry about dinging it up. 16 vs 8 rounds in a lighter package is a no-brainer for me, and the fact that I can chuck it down a driveway and not worry about it is just icing. In my opinion, the 9mm, .40 or .45 are all just as effective.

Please share with us what your thoughts are, I really would enjoy hearing them. This is why we spend time on INGO, it's to learn from one another.

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    The only reason I'm actually in a hurry is because there's a few classes coming up I want to take that require using a handgun as a secondary to a Carbine. And on top of that I still have to get my lifetime concealed carry.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    The only reason I'm actually in a hurry is because there's a few classes coming up I want to take that require using a handgun as a secondary to a Carbine. And on top of that I still have to get my lifetime concealed carry.
    Get this first... LTCH! Then go shopping!:twocents: Think about this.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you decide on a semi auto. I would take a look a the Stoeger Cougar. They can be had new for around $400. They are a damn good pistol for the money. Another decent pistol is a Ruger SR9, again, can be found for around $400. I have also heard good things about the new S&W SD pistols, but have no experience with them.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

I'll put my 9mm's up against any of you special little 1911's. The whole .45 being a better caliber is nothing but internet BS. Fact is, the 9mm will penetrate just as deep in ballistics gelatin. Also, it will make only a slighter bigger temporary wound cavity, the key word being "temporary" There is no guarnantee that a .45 will stop a threat with one shot, or any caliber for that matter. Also, with todays technology, there are a lot of good SD rounds for the 9mm today. Not to mention. Unless you reload, 9mm is a lot cheaper. Also, why carry only 8 rounds, 9 if you chamber a round then top your mag off, of .45? When I can carry 17 rounds of 9mm in my FNP9, and still be around the same weight as your 1911. Not to mention, with the 9mm having softer felt recoil, it allows for quicker follow up shots. It's not a matter of what caliber you use, it's a matter of can you place your rounds on target effectively.

Top Bottom