• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    I bought a Charles Daly 1911 a few days ago. I've only had 50 rounds through it, but it doesn't shoot too bad. As I buy guns I compare my skills to the gun. At what point does that gun's accuratcy become more than my own? I am not saying that you shouldn't get an accurate firearm, but i am saying, don't drop 1000 bucks to get a firearm that gives you a 2 inch group when you can't shoot a 2 inch group yourself. Kimbers are pretty sweet. Springfield are good. my buddy bought a springfield 1911 for less than 600 the other day. just keep looking for good deals.

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    You can't swing a dead cat in Bradis without hitting an INGOer; simon6101 and sjstill provided the entertainment while you filled out the 4473, and I finished everything up when you came back.

We appreciate your business; enjoy that gun! :yesway:

im not excatly sure why people are swinging dead cats, but i like bradis. good prices, good people. lots of choices. but the customers worry me

AXE835

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    East central Indiana
    I'm so impatient... I feel like I need to run out tomorrow and get an SA 1911... Do you think I'd be happier in the long run if I held out for a Colt?

I looked for a while, net, gun shows , gun stores, and at the range and anything I could read. As it is The 100th anv. of one of the greatest pistol John M. Bronwing graced us with a lot of good manufactures are making them. I got the SA 1911A1 GI (5in) in stainless. Good fit and finish. After about 300 round break-in it gets sssooooo ssssmmmootthh.:D :bacondance:Go for the Springfield, I love mine. Use the extra money you saved not buing the Colt name and get some ammo!!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Shooter, Simon, and sjstill. I appreciate all the help!

Question to 1911 owners:

Do all 1911's take a good amount of strength to pull the slide back and cock it? Will this loosen up as I put rounds through it? Just asking because I've seen shooting demos online and they didn't seem to take much effort.

When putting a magazine in, it stops about halfway or so, as though caught on something. It's the magazine release, apparently. If I hold the release button, the mag will slide in fully. Is that normal? Again, just asking because my HK USP goes right in.

forkliftdave

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    madison
    I have a loaded Springfield and its great. I just traded off a Springfield gi. They are a good quality 1911. Like others have said they are addictive. Good luck on your hard pick

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Colt or Springer are great pics. However, there are some new offerings from Remington and Ruger that I would take a hard look at for your first.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I'm looking for a 1911 now, and I'm trying to be sure that I make the right decision. While I would love to get a genuine Colt, I don't think or know if it's possible to do so affordably. I may have to "settle" for a Springfield, but there's nothing wrong with that (if there is, tell me...)

I like the following models:

PW9108LP
    PB9108LP

Which would be considered the most "genuine" old WW2 style? The "mil-spec" and "GI" stuff mixes me up...

Also, I see the prices for these in the 500-600 range, which is just about right. But is it possible to get them for that price? Is there a shop around Indy that has these brand new? Do you know of a more genuine version of a 1911, possibly Colt, that is in my range (max $800)?

Thanks for any input!
    :ingo:

Check CDNN - they get springers in regularly and prices are pretty good:yesway:

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Question to 1911 owners:

I just noticed your questions haven't been answered so...

Do all 1911's take a good amount of strength to pull the slide back and cock it? Will this loosen up as I put rounds through it? Just asking because I've seen shooting demos online and they didn't seem to take much effort.

Mostly yes. Sort of. For a relative solution, push with both hands. The natural tendency seems to be to hold the gun stationary with one hand and use the other to cycle the slide. If you shove with both hands the effort will be shared and it'll seem easier.

When putting a magazine in, it stops about halfway or so, as though caught on something. It's the magazine release, apparently. If I hold the release button, the mag will slide in fully. Is that normal? Again, just asking because my HK USP goes right in.

In my experience, yes. The magazine has a slot in it. The mag release spring has to compress and the tab on the mag release has to go into the slot. I have six Colt eight round magazines for a Combat Elite. All require a little extra pressure to put them that last 1/8th inch or so.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    my experience has been with guns and guitars that buying something now only prolongs the inevitable and increases the amount of money i spend. If a Colt is what you want, then save up for one or look for a nice used one. They show up in the classified section here fairly often.

don't get me wrong, a Springer is a nice gun (I have a Loaded myself), but I think you want the colt.
    :twocents:

This. If you want the Colt, save up for the Colt. In my experience, whenever I've settled for "just as good", I've never been truly happy with my purchase. This has been true for guns, knives, drums, etc.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    So, looks like I didn't have to hold out as long as I thought. I called up Bradis and they had something that piqued my interest.

I told my boss I had to leave work early (I work on the Circle) to get a 1911, he said go for it (he's a gun guy). I got to Bradis, took a look at her, and decided she was perfect.... A Colt 1911 (1991)

I'm wrapping up the checkout process, and... uh oh, my driver's license address is my old address. The guy (who was great and funny the entire time) tells me I can't take the gun until I bring a piece of govt. issued ID with my current address. It's 5:45, they close at 6.

I rush to Meijer down the street, get a fishing license (took forever to find someone to help), and rush back to Bradis. I call them on the way saying "I'm almost there! Please wait for me!" They tell me to book it, and they'll wait.

I get there, they open the door, and check me out. They were all hilarious and amazing to work with. Drove three different places on the way home to find ammo...

I left with this beauty:

Words can't explain how beautiful she is.

Dude - Sorry I have been trying for a week to get on here to tell you something. That particular model is JUNK... Don't buy it, whatever you do!

:): Just kidding. That is a nice gun sir. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of that one.

This thread is not helping me at all. I have recently gotten the itch to get a nice colt .45 but I have been trying to space out my purchases a little bit. IT'S JUST SO DARN HARD (that's what she said).

Congrats on the excellent new weapon.:ar15:

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    Some models are made where you have to push the last but in, a little harder, but not all. I believe the 70s series did not have this "safety" feature.

Practice loading the first round with the slingshot effect. Just pull the slide back and let it go. It loads easier.

John Moses Browning designed the 1911 to carry with "one in the chamber." The three fail safes are the grip, the safety lever, and the brain (don't touch the trigger until you are ready to fire). Remember to practice unloaded, pull the weapon, flip off the safety, have a firm grip, and squeeze the trigger when ready. After a little practice it becomes second nature, and the practice may save your life. You don't want to try to fire in defense, only to find out the safety is on. Good Luck and congratulations on a beutifull weapon.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Sometimes the Springfield you want can be hard to come by. Took almost 6 months to find my Lightweight Campion Operator. Great pistol though. I don't see choosing a Springfield as settling. I have a Colt Govt model that is great, but the sprinfiekd is built very well and I actually prefer shooting it over the colt. That being said, my Kimber Raptor Stainless is my favorite.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    In my experience, yes. The magazine has a slot in it. The mag release spring has to compress and the tab on the mag release has to go into the slot. I have six Colt eight round magazines for a Combat Elite. All require a little extra pressure to put them that last 1/8th inch or so.

You might also try some different mags. Its not a 1911, but on one of my semi auto's (the only one not rocking plastic mags) I have one mag that hangs up a bit on the magazine release and I just have to push it a bit to the side to seat it or depress the mag release just a bit. My other mags do not do that on that particular gun. I just use that one as a range only mag.

It may also be a break in thing and the mag release spring may just be a bit stiff, or the mag cut out may have a bit of an edge on it.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Congrats on the 1911. My preferences are a little different than yours. I like 20 lpi checkering front and rear, a light rail, an extended beavertail, and heinie sights.

Top Bottom