• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    For me Christmas is a religious celebration. The "cultural Christmas" just isn't all sunshine and rainbows. Don't get me wrong. I do like seeing people I like and love and also enjoy watching the little ones enjoying the day. The problem is that I end up having to see "that" relative. It could be the liberal, who has completely different values and is condescending or that narcissist who, not only cares only about themselves, but actually assassinates the character of others to create drama and put themselves at the center of attention. So after picking up all the wrapping paper and donating all the unwanted gifts (without receipts), I'm done. There are also those who, by no fault of their own, are lonely. Others are grieving and yet others are fighting for their lives. It just doesn't measure up to the commercial hype.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Sure commercial hype wants everyone to have nothing but warm fuzzy feelings and somehow everything will miraculously be great even if only for one or two days. Reality is it's always only as good or as bad as we allow it to be. Our family had its share of drama leading up Christmas, but keeping a positive attitude and letting things go prevailed for all and we all managed to have a good time.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Sure commercial hype wants everyone to have nothing but warm fuzzy feelings and somehow everything will miraculously be great even if only for one or two days. Reality is it's always only as good or as bad as we allow it to be. Our family had its share of drama leading up Christmas, but keeping a positive attitude and letting things go prevailed for all and we all managed to have a good time.
    Good point! One must focus on the best of it and ignore the worst!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In this sinful world, we should not be sad, disappointed, or angry that selfish people and evil exists; we should be surprised and thankful that some good exists.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The commercial hype exists to drive the commercial machine. Not a bad thing, just be cognizant of it. It is there every day of every year to drive folks to that next thing they need. Again, not a bad thing unless someone doesn't understand it, etc. Free market is good, but you have to understand the psychology that is used, etc. It is strong this time of year.

There are still things I want, goals, etc, but for the most part am content to not have bad things happening to those that I love at the current time, and decided a while back that it didn't matter if I was happy with what I have, or if I have it because it is what makes me happy. As long as one is not constantly chasing the white rabbit of happiness (whether that be the latest greatest commercial thing, or some addiction, etc), and is somewhat self content, who cares about the hype.

Also for me (my wife not so much), I got over the whole idea of social obligations, like putting up with folks I don't really need to be around, etc (for the most part) a long time ago.

Mike, Sounds like you have your priorities in the right place, and your head screwed on correctly. Obviously besides guiding our own kids, focusing on the behavior of others is largely a losing proposition.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    For me Christmas is a religious celebration. The "cultural Christmas" just isn't all sunshine and rainbows. Don't get me wrong. I do like seeing people I like and love and also enjoy watching the little ones enjoying the day. The problem is that I end up having to see "that" relative. It could be the liberal, who has completely different values and is condescending or that narcissist who, not only cares only about themselves, but actually assassinates the character of others to create drama and put themselves at the center of attention. So after picking up all the wrapping paper and donating all the unwanted gifts (without receipts), I'm done. There are also those who, by no fault of their own, are lonely. Others are grieving and yet others are fighting for their lives. It just doesn't measure up to the commercial hype.

Mike I was feeling the same....Then last night I was watching KET and Tim Farmer shared this story of BPS Santa Walt Queen...At the end it finally hit me who this man was...It was big news around here back in the late 1980's when he spoke at the trial....When this video ends it hit me who he was and why he looked familiar....It'll break your heart but lift you up as well.....It'll bring a tear to a glass eye.....

[video=youtube;LP7YjrevKQw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP7YjrevKQw[/video]

Last edited:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    After the usual family flare ups at TG, I stayed clear of them during Christmas dinner. Makes for a more peaceful event. Come on family, you are in your late 40's and STILL gripe/drama over the same crap.

Its the reason for the season thats whats important.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Christmas can certainly be a difficult time. Some have had a great year and some have not. I think it's important that we at least make an effort to celebrate and be around family. If they make you miserable then it might be time for a change. We can't choose our family but we can choose who we spend our time with.

Have a Happy New Year.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    You will never know how much of an impact you can have by a simple act of giving that works for some but not all.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Mike I was feeling the same....Then last night I was watching KET and Tim Farmer shared this story of BPS Santa Walt Queen...At the end it finally hit me who this man was...It was big news around here back in the late 1980's when he spoke at the trial....When this video ends it hit me who he was and why he looked familiar....It'll break your heart but lift you up as well.....It'll bring a tear to a glass eye.....

[video=youtube;LP7YjrevKQw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP7YjrevKQw[/video]
    He is a much better man than I.

Top Bottom