• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCPer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Been absent from the Forum for a while and now looking for some advice. I have been reloading casually for about 25 years. Just basically to save on ammo prices. I have now decide it's time for me to buy a chronograph to see what my loads are doing. I have been looking over a lot of reviews and I seem to like the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph. Any suggestions of comments on this or any other chronograph would be appreciated.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have had a Chrony for several years. It seems to work OK I have not really used much else. It will do several strings and give std deviation. Not too hard on the wallet.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I have a Chrony Beta, and really like the remote read out. What ever you get, make sure they have a good deal on rebuilds and/or repairs.

Remember, there are only 2 kinds of chronographs:

Those that have been shot
    and
    Those that havn't been shot ***,, yet

:popcorn:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I highly recommend the remote readout/controls. I'd also recommend getting one with memory and capability to give you averages and standard deviations.

Mine doesn't and I have to record the info, then put it into a spreadsheet when I get home. I'm thinking of getting a spreadsheet editor for the iPad so I can just do it all at the range.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    :+1:

I have one of these too. They are pretty darn good.
    Another one here.

IMHO, CED M2 is the only "affordable" chrony I will ever recommend. If you wait for a good midway promo you can get it for a bit less than $200.

Some benefits are that the "brains" are remote. It has memory, and it can be hooked straight to a PC to import the data to spreadsheets etc. One of the biggest benefits comes in handy when you're having a bad day. "Oh, you shot your chrony today at the range? Well don't worry, because with the CED M2, the only thing in harms way is the sensors, and they can be replaced for about $30".

BTW, if you have a chrony, the question isn't if but when you will shoot your chrony by mistake.

There is one other option, out there for good quality. It is the Oehler 35P, which for many years was considered the top of the line, Cadillac model, and still is. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore. They did a special run last year, so you may be able to find one somewhere, but it's going to cost you $600+

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have a Chrony Beta, and really like the remote read out. What ever you get, make sure they have a good deal on rebuilds and/or repairs.

and

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ LOL ha ha ha !!!!! :twocents:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

and

truier words were never spoken. i keep about 10 of the arms in my range bag. ive always shot 1 arm at a time. indygunworks was chronoing his 308 and put 1 bullet threw both arms on the right side

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    I have used a Chrony for years and every Big Match I have gone to, the match chronographs give the same FPS as my Beta does. My friend has a Competition Electronics that always give a faster FPS than the match chronos. So I would get Chorny, they are more accurate.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have used a Chrony for years and every Big Match I have gone to, the match chronographs give the same FPS as my Beta does. My friend has a Competition Electronics that always give a faster FPS than the match chronos. So I would get Chorny, they are more accurate.
    What chrony were they using at the match and what was the accuracy/readability data on it? You can't judge a chrony's accuracy based upon one person's experience. What if it's the match chrony and your beta that are off?

Or maybe your friend just didn't set his CE up right. :dunno:

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009

and

I have one with the old type computer, have not taken the computer to range in years, yea I've shot the canopy before too:rolleyes:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had the little red chrony in the folding metal case and it worked ok until my buddy borrowed it and put a bullet through it. When he paid me, they were out of stock and I bough the Pro Chrono in the big grey plastic housing. The Pro had far less error readings, was easier to get the information out of the memory. The little red chrony would sometimes get crazy readings, like 3400 fps out of my M1a, that would ruin the data collection averages. Those are the only two I have ever owned.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Either Me or my Brother nicked my Shooting Chrony" once, have not put one though it yet. Have lost the rods, just use dowel rods now. I'm real careful now when I set mine up. I either remove my bolt or place an empty chamber flag in while I'm in front of the muzzel. Thinking about taking a laser pointer and some paper next time to adjust height from my bench rest.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom