• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    New to the AR15 platform, I was interested to here what everyone is using for your's. I'm much more familiar with the products I use on my handguns, and though I trust their performance I would like to hear suggestions for the AR specifically. I didn't know if dry lubes worked better in some areas than typical wet lube, things like this? I bought my M&P15 new and I'm getting ready to go over it really good before I take it out for the first time this weekend. On a completely different note, I also purchased a Brownells trigger spring kit (reduction to 3lbs I believe), any opinions on whether or not I should install it before I actually shoot the thing as is from factory? Thanks in advance INGO.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I use Breakfree. I would shoot it stock before putting in the light spring. You might be happy with the stock setup. The problem with light trigger springs is erratic trigger reset when the action is crudded up.

All my AR's have heavier hammer springs, not lighter trigger springs.

Last edited:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    New to the AR15 platform, I was interested to here what everyone is using for your's. I'm much more familiar with the products I use on my handguns, and though I trust their performance I would like to hear suggestions for the AR specifically. I didn't know if dry lubes worked better in some areas than typical wet lube, things like this? I bought my M&P15 new and I'm getting ready to go over it really good before I take it out for the first time this weekend. On a completely different note, I also purchased a Brownells trigger spring kit (reduction to 3lbs I believe), any opinions on whether or not I should install it before I actually shoot the thing as is from factory? Thanks in advance INGO.

I'm old fashioned. I firmly believe that you should take a new gun out and shoot the heck out of it before you modify it.

For a couple of reasons:

If you find a problem, you can get warranty service much more easily if you haven't been cobbling on it. If you don't have a problem with the original configuration, but you LATER modify it and THEN have trouble, you know that either the new parts or your work is causing the problem, and not the firearm itself.

Also, you may just find that you like it the way it came from the factory and decide not to hack it at all!!

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Breakfree on all my guns.

I've been a big fan of Breakfree for years, but sometimes have trouble finding it, and when I can find it, it is in the aerosol cans instead of liquid form.

Is there a difference in the aerosol form? Does the propellant affect anything? I'd much rather have a dropper/squeeze bottle to work with when trying to apply it to parts, but maybe that's just me.

cranduit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Breakfree for most everything cause it's easy to get and I've never had a problem.

I also use wheel bearing grease for the bolt rails and charging handle. It felt a lot smoother after I started using it, so I put it on now. The only problem is the 16oz can of grease (smallest I could find) would last long enough for the war of 2525 or whenever, it really doesn't take much at all.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    Breakfree for most everything cause it's easy to get and I've never had a problem.

I also use wheel bearing grease for the bolt rails and charging handle. It felt a lot smoother after I started using it, so I put it on now. The only problem is the 16oz can of grease (smallest I could find) would last long enough for the war of 2525 or whenever, it really doesn't take much at all.

Pretty much the same recipe for my AR's also.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Breakfree for me. I used to do the hoppes + oil on my other firearms before I got into an AR. I tried breakfree and never turned back; keep it simple.

Haven't done any trigger mods and haven't shot anything modified, so I only know what I know.....no help.

Top Bottom