• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Guy at the spencer walmart used starter fluid to clean some tar off the side of his buick. Sprayed it, cleaned it and sprayed it again. His lady came over to inspect it. She was smoking and set it and the rag on the parking lot on fire.

I was amazed at how fast the paint was damaged and the plastic melted. He put the fire out with a polar pop.

He should have left it to burn.....

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    th_img-1197303480.gif

That would have been a great video to send to PeopleOfWalmart.com :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've used naptha to do that job, I would think ether would be rough on the paint and hard to keep from evaporating too fast.

Loar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Last week I had some sort of gunk on my hands and used gas to get it off. It's the sort of thing I saw my Dad do hundreds of times growing up but I hadn't done it in at least 20 years. Brought back a lot of memories of the stuff we used to do before we thought about the environmental and safety implications of every decision.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Last week I had some sort of gunk on my hands and used gas to get it off. It's the sort of thing I saw my Dad do hundreds of times growing up but I hadn't done it in at least 20 years. Brought back a lot of memories of the stuff we used to do before we thought about the environmental and safety implications of every decision.

Did you do that yesterday? Because today it is really hot outside, thanks a lot!

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Awesome. In a sad kinda of way.

I enjoy watching Darwin Award nominees smoke while at the gas pump. From a safe distance, of course.

Gas smothers cigarettes, most mechanics I know smoke and work in closed environments (however they go outside to light up), and finally you have seen too many movies.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Gas smothers cigarettes, most mechanics I know smoke and work in closed environments (however they go outside to light up), and finally you have seen too many movies.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6VHqFgOA6I[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH_5qgnRQck[/ame]

I've also used gas a little gas and a cigarette to get my burn barrel going. Sure, liquid gas may smother a flame, but get anywhere close to stoichiometry, and WHOOSH.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6VHqFgOA6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH_5qgnRQck

I've also used gas a little gas and a cigarette to get my burn barrel going. Sure, liquid gas may smother a flame, but get anywhere close to stoichiometry, and WHOOSH.

both cases it looks like a flame was introduced which was my parenthetical statement that they abstained from the accelerrant rich environment to light up. Flash point of gasoline is about 50 degrees with an ignition temperature of 495, google fu tells me a cherry on a square will hit 700 degrees just sitting there and around 1200 degrees while being pulled on. The other important part of the equation is the fuel to air mixture which is ideally 15:1. I am not saying it never happens, but the coup de grâce is that a burning ember on a cigarette although has the heat it does not have the energy to ignite vapors or liquid gasoline. I am no where near a professional just interpreting some research I found on the internet haha.

here is an article for a complete reversal what I just read elsewhere it will ignite

Last edited:
    Top Bottom