• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    I bought my property a year ago and from what I heard, it had been logged of all the big old oaks about 2-3 years before I bought it. There are a lot of tops and mediums sized limbs at the edges of the fields.

Due to the fact they have been down for 3-4 years, some is soft and probably not useable for firewood.

Leave them there to rot or slowly work my way through and clear it out and burn it? I may just clear around the house because doing all of it would be very time consuming!

I've heard to leave it for small game and such. Some say clear it for the health of the floor and standing trees.

Other than some of being truly unsightly, they aren't in the way of anything.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    There is a large group that discuss stuff like this here, you're welcome to join us:

We talk about a lot more than just firewood.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I would not bother chipping. Too much time and effort with minimal returns. As mentioned, burn some, brush some. Or do nothing. I go in different areas of my 6 acres of woods and clean the fallen wood in small sections at a time more for fire prevention, by burning it of course, the brush too small for fire wood but I have a method to my madness for safety.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If it isn't hurting anything where it is and you don't need the firewood, it will rot nicely in place and provide nutrient for the next crop of lumber you may decide to take 25 or 50 yrs from now. We tend to take from our forests and not return much. Long enough time scale involved that miniscule humans never consider how that affects the woods in 500 yrs. We don't live long enough to appreciate the damage.

Top Bottom