• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Teflon is a brand name. It contained PFAS but now they just want to distance themselves from it. But regardless, people have to invent phrases like “forever chemicals”.
    Yeah, I guess that makes them sound scarier than certain other chemicals that last forever (fortunately) that we require just to live…like oxygen and water.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Would people have been without the .gov banning it?
    Some, no. Some be like, I’ve been spraying that stuff for 20 years and never had a—cough, cough, [uncontrollable hacking and coughing]—‘scuse me, I’ve been having this terrible cough lately. No idea why. Oh shucks. Let me wipe this here blood off my mouth. There. Now what was I sayin’? Oh yeah, that DDT stuff works real good. It ain’t never hurt me.

A coworker of mine used to like to say, “Reality gets rid of the dumb ones first.” I don’t think using stupid phrases like “forever chemicals” changes reality much. You also don’t have to use scary words to ban stuff. Stuff gets banned for lots of reasons, including when studies show something causes more harm than benefit.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Would people have been without the .gov banning it?
    Some were, obviously; they were the ones sounding the alarm. But at a wide scale? I doubt it. Everything in that age was a miracle. Plastics, pesticides, semiconductors, vaccines, everything. It was a generation that went from outhouses and horse drawn plows to the moon. There was no problem that couldn't be solved by chemistry and technology. The producers and propagators of those products were held in the highest public trust because they were literally changing civilization.

Look how many believe the narratives of today and then consider how much more so it would be if the Vax, WITH all of its side effects really did prevent 90% of recipients from contracting the rona. Or if your local cop was really just the same as the cherry-picked national whipping boy. Or if there was evidence of an evolutionary leap towards androgeny. Or If the Isrealies really were oppressing their western neighbors and provoking them by carpet bombing their civian populations. All of these things are a lie, yet have enormous acceptance. And we know better because of the years of follow-on learning from things like DDT.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Teflon is a brand name. It contained PFAS but now they just want to distance themselves from it. But regardless, people have to invent phrases like “forever chemicals”.
    Part of the problem is the lack of understanding between something you use and what it's made of. Huge number of examples in chemistry, Teflon, PVC, even table salt. You can't compare the end product to what makes it in in any way, shape or form.

Sodium is a highly reactive metal and chlorine a very toxic gas, combined, you put it on your french fries.

Stoking hysteria about chemicals has been profitable to big media almost as much as the people making the replacements. There's no replacement for much of this stuff though, so manufacture will all move to china and Americans will pay big to get it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Some, no. Some be like, I’ve been spraying that stuff for 20 years and never had a—cough, cough, [uncontrollable hacking and coughing]—‘scuse me, I’ve been having this terrible cough lately. No idea why. Oh shucks. Let me wipe this here blood off my mouth. There. Now what was I sayin’? Oh yeah, that DDT stuff works real good. It ain’t never hurt me.

A coworker of mine used to like to say, “Reality gets rid of the dumb ones first.” I don’t think using stupid phrases like “forever chemicals” changes reality much. You also don’t have to use scary words to ban stuff. Stuff gets banned for lots of reasons, including when studies show something causes more harm than benefit.
    Dad used to say that DDT probably saved more lives than penicillin, and he probably wasn't far off when you consider that it helped to eradicate mosquitos that carried malaria.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    DDT was an early big hammer, but like some things it was widely used before being understood. That family of chemicals probably should have been limited to termite barriers.

I keep a good supply of Permethrin around as it is now all made overseas, much like BAC-50 which is found in almost every cleaner sold in the US. People look at the big things like cars and don't realize how much of the chemical industry is already gone from the US and how much those products are used everyday.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    48658e1c3c29b3159d3a244e213449e778e11b97eddcfeb8e58465c6f5527b16_1.jpg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Dude, it would take something close to volcanic activity to break them down.
    Fluorine has the highest electronegativity of any element by far. 'Forever' might be an exaggeration from a strictly literal standpoint, but VERY few natural processes or indeed deliberate chemical reactions will break them down, many are soluble in water and exposure is cumulative

About the only thing left to argue about is just how poisonous they are and I don't recommend you take the manufacturers word for that

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I really don't see it going away, way to much tech is built on fluorine related products. It will simply shift to places like india and china with everything else.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Dude, it would take something close to volcanic activity to break them down.
    Fluorine has the highest electronegativity of any element by far. 'Forever' might be an exaggeration from a strictly literal standpoint, but VERY few natural processes or indeed deliberate chemical reactions will break them down, many are soluble in water and exposure is cumulative

About the only thing left to argue about is just how poisonous they are and I don't recommend you take the manufacturers word for that
    Dude. I have no arguments against it's badness. When people say "forever chemicals" they're talking about PFAS and similar stuff. I'm saying that we don't need silly phrases to understand the magnitude if its impact. Just call it PFAS. Say what it is and what it does. And in polite company, you can even casually call it Teflon if you'd like. But if you say that publicly don't be surprised if you get sued. They seem to be touchy about that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I really don't see it going away, way to much tech is built on fluorine related products. It will simply shift to places like india and china with everything else.
    I think it is poor product/chemical selection to use it for stupid stuff like grease-resistant French fry containers, though

Like when they used to put acetone in nail polish remover, just because it works doesn't mean it is the safest option, only the cheapest

Top Bottom