• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    So... I got my aimpoint mount in the mail yesterday for my aimpoint micro.

I got the ADM mount that comes with interchangeable SOCOM and absolute co-witness heights, I figured I would find out which I liked better.

Well I was surprised, I absolutely HATED the lower 1/3 higher mount. Hated it. From the moment I put it on the gun. I had no repeatable way to mount the gun, and it seemed way too high. I had a chinweld instead of a cheekweld.

Maybe I have been mounting my gun wrong <.......> all these years, but yikes I am glad I did not get a fixed mount assuming lower 1/3 is the way I wanted it.

The absolute mount worked great, and the dot was right in the middle of the lens just like it should be, and I am VERY happy with the mount.

Note: If you tighten this thing, and clamp it on... it MIGHT be really hard to unclamp again, that thing is ON there. :)

Very happy with the mount and its interchangeable heights, Go ADM.

I have 2 more on order for a Aimpoint M4 clone for my 22 <Which it also works with> and a traditional scope.

Anyhow, thought I would share, Lower 1/3 is all the rage on the interwebs, but apparently with my body it just wasnt going to work.

Now I have to sell this riser :)

:yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Glad to hear that you found something that works for you. :yesway:

I'm a bit surprised to hear that you hated lower 1/3, but loved absolute, as there really isn't much difference between the two. Got a picture of how you mount the gun?

Also, I think you should do a complete review, with pictures. ;)

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Hmm actually I forgot I wont be home tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyhow the issue was, that when I mounted the gun, my eyes were normally lined up with the iron sights almost perfectly, and the dot on the aimpoint was resting on the top of the front sight as it should.

The problem was, the dot on the aimpoint was way WAY down on the lens, in the bottom 1/3 of the lens.

So if my eye was any lower, it wouldnt be visible. Some dryfiring in the dark where I could not see the rifle at all, proved problematic, I would lose the dot completly if I was a bit off to one side or the other <easy to do in pitch black.>

This was due to the fact that the lower the dot is in a circle, the less side to side it can go? Follow me?

When I switched it out to the absolute riser, the dot was in the middle of the circle so it had plenty of play up, down, side to side, and I didnt have to be up on my chin in order for the dot to be centered in the optic.

It only looks like about a centimeter difference, but it felt like an inch on the gun. It really made a world of difference to me.

Prone as well I liked it lower.

I will take some pics and do a full review. Got to take it back apart anyhow to paint the optic and locktite it down.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The idea of lower 1/3 is that you still shoot with the dot in the middle of the glass, but your irons are now lower in your field-of-view, out of your way. You don't shoot with the dot down in the lower 1/3.

But, if you're saying that you can't get a good cheek weld and see the dot in the middle of the glass, then its a good thing you went absolute.

For me, I prefer lower 1/3. My cheek weld feels neutral and consistent. But, if I need to go to irons, I simply tuck my head down a bit more and go.

Like so (for reference):

m7riu9.jpg

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    The idea of lower 1/3 is that you still shoot with the dot in the middle of the glass, but your irons are now lower in your field-of-view, out of your way. You don't shoot with the dot down in the lower 1/3.

But, if you're saying that you can't get a good cheek weld and see the dot in the middle of the glass, then its a good thing you went absolute.

For me, I prefer lower 1/3. My cheek weld feels neutral and consistent. But, if I need to go to irons, I simply tuck my head down a bit more and go.

Yep exactly. I get the theory, it just worked out really poorly for me in practice. I felt like my head was WAY up in the air off the stock. I will take some pics similar to yours to illustrate. This should be interesting.

Top Bottom