• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Bought this over the weekend and I am seeking info from our resident INGO Colt experts.
    It is a Detetctive Special 3rd issue. Cylinder is finished in what appears to be nickel or chrome.
    According to a CSR at Colt is was made in or around 1982.
    Serial #P589XX.
    My questions are:
    Has anyone ever seen one like it?
    Can anyone tell me if it's factory or something done outside of the Colt factory?

bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    Ive never seen 1 quite like it, I'm not gonna pretend to know if its original. If you call colt they are pretty good at answering basic questions. Anyways I will say that is 1 sweet piece. Congrats!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    colt detective special 2 tone - Google Search

It's most likely a mismatched gun. I'm pretty sure Colt didn't make it like that. I did a lot of research on the DS since picking one up at the 1500 last year. I've never seen one except as being labeled mismatched.

Apparently S&W did occasionally make some of their revolvers this way and called them Pintos? I'm sure some real Smith and Wesson fans can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    I have see factory examples, but the ones I saw were 1984 production and shipped to Davidson Supply. I think they did a run of 250 of each. The only way is to know for sure is to obtain a factory letter. Here is the link to order: Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC > Customer Services > Archive Services $75 and about 12 short weeks later and you will know if it is factory.

Best of luck, it is a nice gun either way...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apparently S&W did occasionally make some of their revolvers this way and called them Pintos? I'm sure some real Smith and Wesson fans can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I am a real Smith and Wesson fan and I can say with certainity that..........

[video=youtube;YY6wwAhvirY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY6wwAhvirY[/video]

You are correct Sir!!!!!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've seen a couple in my day. Can't say if they were a factory option or not but I have seen them. I like the look myself.

Top Bottom