• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    Hey team, I’ve got a friend with one of these revolvers in relatively good condition, along with a certificate of authenticity from Colt. He doesn’t know much about firearms, and has no need of an antique revolver, especially one as notoriously finicky as this one, and asked me to figure out the best way to sell it. I’ve done a lot of transactions involving normal firearms, but nothing with an antique - where do I start? Should I just call ZX Gun or one of the local stores to put on consignment, or try to post on one of the big auction sites? Just post in the classifieds here?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The Colt 1877 will be chambered in either 38 or 41 Long Colt, both cartridges should be BP if he intends to shoot the gun. They are a high maintenance gun just to keep running and finding people to work on them is a challenge, the best is probably Sal Lanara. He does excellent work, but isn't cheap. Gun Broker would be the best place to sell it, you could put it in the classifieds here, but other than me you will get few buyers. I have several of the guns in various states of operation. The big general value number will be if it has an ejector and what the barrel length is. Longer sells better. Fancy grips are another plus.

Here's a 38 Long Colt Lightning with a period Heiser holster.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom