• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    I have a colt mustang that I absolutely love. The only problem is that the magazine wants to drop down about a 1/2" randomly after a shot is fired. Sometimes I can shoot 2-3 mags without a problem sometimes i have to manually eject the round and feed the next one.
    So is it the mag or the gun?
    Any solutions?
    :dunno:

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Indy guy is dead on on this one. This was a fairly common problem with these otherwise stellar little guns. You can obtain new spring / catch from Brownells and I THINK Cylinder and Slide may still have extra power mag release springs available. The other issue is that it is such a small gun that you may be bumping it depending on your grip. Some have fixed the issue with that sping / latch replacement or by installing slightly thicker grips to better protect the release.

Enjoy your little Colt, great pistol!

Last edited:

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    As others have stated its probably the catch spring.... but is it the same mag or does it occur with other mags too? If it happens with more than one mag then I would replace the spring & catch.

The Mustang is one pistol that I regret selling....

heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    I only have one mag for it thats why I thought it may just be the mag. Thanks for the help! I did think my grip might have been the problem, but came to the conclusion (after several grip changes) that this wasn't the cause.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    go here and get a service kit type II and stainless steel guide rod....one on the right was doing the same..both got a respring and rod..Springs for COLT MUSTANG & PONY Semi-Auto Pistols

27zgch2.jpg

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Haven't encountered this problem yet with our Mustang, but it was good to find solutions and issues to watch for. +1 for the Mustang owners

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    You might be able to find the extra-power catch spring at Wolff Gunsprings as well. In fact, i thought that's where C&S got most of their springs, but I may be mistaken about that. Hope this helps -- good luck!

Specialized

Top Bottom