• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    These two seem really close, anything that would make one better than the other?

I normally carry both of these Spydies in stock (currently out of the Chicago model). There is no difference other than blade length and overall length. They are so close in size to each other I some times get confused on which one is which when they are sitting in my display case at the shows.:): Both models use the same handle materials, blade steel (440C), and design. Basically the Chicago is a Cat model scaled down to be meet the Chicago area knife laws.

Chicago Specs:
    Overall Length- 5.031"
    Length Closed- 3.125"
    Blade Thickness- .093"
    Blade Length- 2.0"
    Weight- 2.2 oz

Cat Specs:
    Overall Length- 5.938"
    Length Closed- 3.563"
    Blade Thickness- .093"
    Blade Length- 2.438"
    Weight- 2.5 oz

Last edited:

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I was under the impression that the Chicago laws were that the blade had to be less than 2.5" so wouldn't the Cat be allowed as well? That is part of the reason I am looking to get one is for the Chicago restrictions.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I was under the impression that the Chicago laws were that the blade had to be less than 2.5" so wouldn't the Cat be allowed as well? That is part of the reason I am looking to get one is for the Chicago restrictions.

I believe your right as far as the blade being 2.5" or less (for the Chicago area). I'm only guessing that Spyderco made the Chicago model (2" blade) so it would leave no doubt about being under the 2.5" requirement. The Cat model is very close to the limit and depending on how a LEO measures it, it could cause a problem. Technically you could prove your within the law, but it could be a hassle and time consuming. This is just a guess on my part.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Hey,
    Just got my spyderco Chicago and I love it, thanks for the info and help. If I had been up near you Brad'sknives I would have gotten it from you. Next time I am up near your area I will stop in.

Top Bottom