• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    So it would appear that our cable modem has bit the dust... It gave us a long run, so not gonna complain... I wouldn't mind upgrading to a single modem/ wireless router unit. All I can find is one for a DSL connection. Does one exist, if so one that isn't outrageously expensive and reliable for a 2 story home?

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    DSL Modem/Wireless router combos do exit. As far as a recommendation for what particular brand/model.. Who is your internet through? Certain companies work better with certain routers. Also, depending on the layout and size of the house, and location you plan on putting it in, you may want to look into a wireless repeater/signal booster, so that you can get good signals upstairs.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I've had really good results with Netgear modems & routers, very good range & signal strength, very fast connection speeds, very reliable, etc.

gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    Talk to your DSL provider, Frontier replaced my old modem with a new Modem/Wireless router for free two months ago. Told me my old was 5 years old and I was eligable for a new modem.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    if you are on comcast they will provide you with a free router as long as you have service with them. as far as the modem goes, were you leasing it or did you own it outright? here is a decent one with wireless n Motorola Wireless Cable Modem

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    if you are on comcast they will provide you with a free router as long as you have service with them. as far as the modem goes, were you leasing it or did you own it outright? here is a decent one with wireless n Motorola Wireless Cable Modem

I have this cable modem. I keep it in the back bedroom of a two story house and I have never had any issues with coverage. I would highly recommend it.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Thanks for the input guys, the 6580 is what I went with as well...

The original modem was fine, it was the exterior cable that was bad. Figured that out after an hour on the phone with comcast and getting frustrated. They concluded that it must be a wiring issue, so since they never locked my box or theirs I replaced theirs with one of mine and problem solved....

So now I have upgraded to a newer/better modem/router and have to have them come out and install & bury a new cable.

Top Bottom