• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    I am looking at a few options to add to the capacity of my Springfield xd 45 and I found a magazine that says it requires an extended magwell. The magazine will increase the capacity to 18 rounds. I like the look of the extended magwell(stainless magwell on a bi-tone xd) and I don't plan on selling my gun in the future. This is my carry firearm and I use a zero bulk holster with it so I was wondering how big of a difference would it make while using it for concealed carry. Does anyone on here have an extended magwell on their carry gun and if so what are the pros and cons that they've run into. I have a feeling that extended magwells may only be good for safe guns and competitive shooting.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I have a feeling that extended magwells may only be good for safe guns and competitive shooting.

If your primary concern is keeping it concealed, sure. If not, the only problem might be bumping it against things until you got used to carrying with that extra bit of grip length sticking out there.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    For conceal carry I would advice against any extended mags and or magwell, I do CC a full size handgun but my rule is to keep it stock to ensure that will be as reliable as possible.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It depends on how paranoid you are about the "concealed" part? Do you have a code word with your loved ones so that they can discretely warn you if your firearm is showing?

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    Thanks for the information guys. I decided against the extended mag well, but I did find a magazine extension that doesn't require a new mag well. It's 16 rounds compared to the 18 but instead of having to buy new magazines the extensions bolt right on to the stock magazine. I think I'll just pick up two more magazines and order the extensions on them and see if I like them. As for a safe word I am a single dad with a 3 year old so a safe word really wouldn't work for me. That is a really good idea though. I'm not too concerned about my firearm being visible to the trained eye.

Top Bottom