Consequences to carrying where you shouldn't?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Not everyone is a rocket scientist.
    Agreed.
    Obviously, you are the exception.
    No, I'm not a rocket scientist either... I'm just not an idiot either and I do have some common sense.

Building on your examples - I could get upset at your attitude and condescending tone, or I can build up on it, question it, and try to understand where you're coming from.

Of course, knowing that not everyone excretes brilliance like you, people take the time to respond so everyone (you know, those lower life forms that you are forced to put up with) can understand and learn from any question that is asked. :rolleyes:
    And that's fine - what you're essentially trying to say is that people can respond to my threads with whatever they want whether it answers the question at hand or not and that is fine, but when I point out how the post wasn't helpful or didn't address the question at hand - that's crossing the line?

Help me understand this a bit ... You're saying I should sit back and let less than helpful responses go unnoticed and allow others to make similar posts after that so that people don't get their feelings hurt?

I'm really not being sarcastic/condescending - I really do need to understand this dynamic.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You would be surprise how many people are actually idiots posting or asking things online.
    We have seen some members posting here, on a public forum, that they did some illegal things.Carrying in illegal places and things like that.Those posts were later used by the justice system.
    I was trying to be condescending when I told you about ignorance not being a defense, it was just a fact.
    I dont know you, I dont know how old you are, your background or how much you know about the law.
    Some people actually dont know those things, that doesn't mean that they are idiots but they just dont know.
    That's why they come here to ask questions and that's why they sometimes get simple answers that you could judge to be condescending.
    Sometimes members will answer to that by saying "oh thanks I didn't know that" and some like yourself will say "Im not an idiot, you think I didn't know that? Stop being so condescending".

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    You would be surprise how many people are actually idiots posting or asking things online.
    I would not, actually. I moderate/administer over a dozen forums myself so I see stupidity on a daily basis. I do also work in the internet services field (think internet service provider) so I see stupidity en-masse on a daily basis. Now what I take from this is that I give people the benefit of the doubt until they give me reason not to.
    We have seen some members posting here, on a public forum, that they did some illegal things.Carrying in illegal places and things like that.Those posts were later used by the justice system.
    Indeed - I did consider using a unique/obfuscated name on these forums to help keep my identity hidden just in case... At the end of the day I discerned that I won't be conducting illegal activity and if I were to do so, for the sake of hypothetical discussion, I wouldn't post about it in a public forum. It doesn't take a whole lot of common sense to know that any public postings (be it a blog, Facebook, forums, etc...) can and will be used against you in a court of law.

I was trying to be condescending when I told you about ignorance not being a defense, it was just a fact.
    Perhaps I was simply being too sensitive, and for that I do apologize. I will try and be a little less sensitive in the future.
    I dont know you, I dont know how old you are, your background or how much you know about the law.
    Indeed.
    Some people actually dont know those things, that doesn't mean that they are idiots but they just dont know.
    True, idiot is a bit of a harsh word. Let's just say that I'm not brilliant, but I'm far from an idiot. Sometimes I'm too smart for my own good.
    That's why they come here to ask questions and that's why they sometimes get simple answers that you could judge to be condescending.
    Understood.
    Sometimes members will answer to that by saying "oh thanks I didn't know that" and some like yourself will say "Im not an idiot, you think I didn't know that? Stop being so condescending".
    Point taken, I appreciate you taking the time to clarify this a bit.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'll make this easy.

Search for the answer yourself. This has been discussed multiple times.

Anyone who took the time to answer could have said that, but they took the time to respond. Instead of realizing that they were taking the time to answer your question (which has been answered many times over), and answer it in a way to try to avoid confusion, you decide to cop an attitude and complain that people aren't answering the way you want to.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'll make this easy.

Search for the answer yourself. This has been discussed multiple times.
    I did do some searching but came up with nothing that specifically covered a state park within the Indianapolis city limits. Since state law effectively preempts local ordinances now - it's moot (be it city or state park). Also since there is preemption, which isn't something I was specifically searching for as I was under the understanding it didn't exist, I have no excuse for not knowing where I can and cannot carry as the laws are the same state-wide.

Anyone who took the time to answer could have said that, but they took the time to respond. Instead of realizing that they were taking the time to answer your question (which has been answered many times over), and answer it in a way to try to avoid confusion, you decide to cop an attitude and complain that people aren't answering the way you want to.
    No attitude was copped, although it seems that some people's feelings did get hurt. I do see that I said "appreciate" no less than 9 times in this thread.

If your post isn't helpful, I will let you know it - although I still do appreciate you taking your valuable time to make the response. I know that nobody is intentionally making useless posts to **** me off or to be condescending, but I will call them as I see them.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    You do that. Don't be surprised when fewer people are willing to help.
    Those that are less willing to help, are likely to be those worried their posts will be criticized. If you know what you're talking about, and you know you're answering the question - there would be no reason to second guess yourself and/or restrain yourself if not purely for the principal... If you were to do that, you'd probably go to the trouble of saying something like "I was going to help, but ... (something here)." I would rather they simply not respond at all, but we all have our own prerogatives.

You continue to make posts in this thread that aren't even related to the original question whatsoever. You're going out of your way and spending your time to tell me that there is the possibility that others in the future won't be helpful towards me due to me calling things as I see them... Why don't you just let me face the consequences of my own actions and attitude and move on with your own life? :)

I am happy to continue discussion/debate with you, if you desire, but at this point I'd say we're not accomplishing anything.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I would not, actually. I moderate/administer over a dozen forums myself so I see stupidity on a daily basis. I do also work in the internet services field (think internet service provider) so I see stupidity en-masse on a daily basis.

And you approach this forum in the manner you have??? I believe that you have taken unkindly to the word ignorant. It doesn't mean dumb, stupid, or any other negative terminology you have associated with it. Ignorant simply means having a lack of knowledge. You asked a question, and are obviously ignorant about the subject.
    Good luck with your use of the SEARCH button here; as your answers have been met with unwanted results.

oh, welcome to Ingo as well. :welcome:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    And you approach this forum in the manner you have??? I believe that you have taken unkindly to the word ignorant. It doesn't mean dumb, stupid, or any other negative terminology you have associated with it.
    I did already, above, admit to being too sensitive and I even apologized. I'll quote it here:
    Perhaps I was simply being too sensitive, and for that I do apologize. I will try and be a little less sensitive in the future.
    I suppose I'm simply used to forums where people aren't quite so easily upset, but then again, I was also a bit overly sensitive.

Ignorant simply means having a lack of knowledge. You asked a question, and are obviously ignorant about the subject.
    Ignorant about the specific laws regarding my question, not ignorant about ignorance being a defense.

Good luck with your use of the SEARCH button here; as your answers have been met with unwanted results.
    Eh, do what now? My questions were addressed, although some who took the time to address them didn't quite answer my questions. As I've said numerous times prior - I appreciate anybody taking the time to respond whether or not the response was helpful.

I did do some searching before posting, as I always do, but I am not going to spend numerous hours searching for an answer to an obscure question. This is, after all, a discussion forum. If you do not wish to discuss a topic/thread/issue - well, nobody is forcing you to make a response. :) I'm certainly not going to go into all the threads everybody else is responding to and ask those respondents why they are not responding in my post as well.

Is there an end to these hurt feelings, or is everybody going to jump in and cry that I've upset them?

oh, welcome to Ingo as well. :welcome:

Last edited:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    tool-bag-590.jpg

Use the Search button in the future, it's an amazing tool that has all the answers, like a huge toolbag....and try to keep your attitude in check.

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    If you're caught someplace where it is ILLEGAL to posses a firearm (court house, etc.) don't count on an officer looking the other way. You're best hope is to plea down to a misdemeanor so you don't have that dreaded felony conviction on your record.

Top Bottom