• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Like many folks, I don't want to go without comms in any type of SHTF situation, whether tornado, fire, or man-made. To that end, several years ago, I bought a box full of GMRS radios. I figured that if I needed them, I'd figure them out at that time. I paid the $70 (at that time) for the license and then let them sit in the box unused until the rechargeable batteries were crap. This spring, I decided to replace them with a box full of UV-5Rs, with every intention of doing the same thing.

Once I got them, I realized that I could not even test them to check the range or functionality without a license, so I studied for a week or two and got my ham radio license. Once I had the license, I started to actually learn about the craft of radio communications and am so glad I did. The idea that you can have a box of UV-5Rs and learn to use them effectively when you need them is no different than someone buying a gun and thinking that they'll learn to shoot when they need it.

Ham radio is a great hobby, and the license is not hard at all to get. It opens you up to being able to practice communications with weekly nets where a large number of people get together at a specified time to practice organized communication skills. Sounds dull, but it's a lot of fun. Most nights of the week, there are nets organized, and most are about 30 minutes to an hour. Some are geared specifically to helping newbies (like me) get comfortable on the air, and others are general news or discussion oriented. Good stuff.

There's a lot more to effective comms in a SHTF situation than just turning the radio on and talking. Getting the ham license exposes you to info that plays a major role in how successful you are in communicating via a radio.

So, if you are like I was and figure that you'll figure them out when you need to, please consider getting your license and start practicing how to effectively communicate on the air. It's not expensive or and is not overly difficult, but it is rewarding.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Is it no bueno to use the Baofengs on FRS or GMRS frequencies? Is the wattage outside the limits?
    You can use them, and I think that some do, but it's against FCC regs outside of an emergency situation. FRS and GMRS share the same frequencies but with GMRS, you can broadcast up to 5 watts with a handheld or 50 watts with a vehicle mounted mobile or base station. GMRS also introduces the ability to use repeaters to extend your reach.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I suspect that, if anything does happen, CBs will make a comeback.
    Most likely not. Cb is useful for short range, but that's about it. CB maxes out at 4w of power, whereas ham can transmit with up to 1500 watts. Cb is a locked system where ham is open to experimentation. That experimentation has brought us digital comms and many other technologies that are not available to Cb.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    You can use them, and I think that some do, but it's against FCC regs outside of an emergency situation. FRS and GMRS share the same frequencies but with GMRS, you can broadcast up to 5 watts with a handheld or 50 watts with a vehicle mounted mobile or base station. GMRS also introduces the ability to use repeaters to extend your reach.
    Most Baofeng handhelds are 5 watts. Help me understand the FCC regs. Is the issue that the Baofengs are able to transmit across so many frequencies? Unlike a common GMRS or FRS radio.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That's my understanding too. The FCC prohibits radios that can transmit on both ham and GMRS frequencies. There may also be something about not allowing removable antennas on GMRS hand-helds.

The UV-5Rs are easy to configure for both GMRS and ham transmit, but it's against FCC rules to transmit with a UV-5R outside of an emergency. Even though the UV-5G is the same radio but with different firmware, it's OK to transmit on GMRS.

Functionaly, there's nothing wrong with using a UV-5R for GMRS. But it's against the rules outside of an emergency.

aporter

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I was actually recently looking into getting a license. Not only for prepping but also for a hobby. I have little to no experience in electronic communication other than what Apple has provided to me. Are the online courses worth the $$, or is there a book that can be had?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I was actually recently looking into getting a license. Not only for prepping but also for a hobby. I have little to no experience in electronic communication other than what Apple has provided to me. Are the online courses worth the $$, or is there a book that can be had?
    You don't need to spend a penny to study for the test. Do a search on ham radio license prep, and you should get a bunch of useful ways to study.

The best is https://hamstudy.org

I came into the hobby with no real knowledge of electronics. One of the things that appeal to me is the mental exercise this will give me into retirement. I'm still several years from that, but I don't want to follow the path of some in my family that lost their mental edge after retirement.

aporter

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    You don't need to spend a penny to study for the test. Do a search on ham radio license prep, and you should get a bunch of useful ways to study.

The best is https://hamstudy.org

I came into the hobby with no real knowledge of electronics. One of the things that appeal to me is the mental exercise this will give me into retirement. I'm still several years from that, but I don't want to follow the path of some in my family that lost their mental edge after retirement.
    Thanks for the info. I'm not much for talking, but I would enjoy to learn it and listen in. Thanks again

p9208s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2021
    Seymour
    Well, I've been an electronics tech for my whole life, and in part of that was RF and radio. So after I retired, I decided I needed something to keep my mind sharp and a new challenge. Studied for a couple weeks just with stuff found online and passed the tech class. A month later I was ready for the general class and I passed that easily. Now I am ready for the extra class and am waiting for a testing site near me to open. I really haven't found a use for 2 meter or 70cm bands, but the HF bands are fascinating. I talk all over the country and well beyond with little investment. So far my furthest contact was roughly 5k miles, but I am just getting started... Ya, I keep a spare radio in a faraday cage and a battery charged up, just in case.
    kd9yav

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's my understanding too. The FCC prohibits radios that can transmit on both ham and GMRS frequencies. There may also be something about not allowing removable antennas on GMRS hand-helds.

The UV-5Rs are easy to configure for both GMRS and ham transmit, but it's against FCC rules to transmit with a UV-5R outside of an emergency. Even though the UV-5G is the same radio but with different firmware, it's OK to transmit on GMRS.

Functionaly, there's nothing wrong with using a UV-5R for GMRS. But it's against the rules outside of an emergency.
    This. it is entirely possible to "properly" transmit on GMRS/FRS using those radios. They are not certified for that use, and the have a removable* antenna which is a no go for that use. But if you dont upgrade the antenna, its not hurting anyone.

While I am not recommending it, It is still possible to use them within the limits and not break any functional rules like transmit power, etc. All the rules you are breaking are "bureaucratic" rules. Hard core uptight 110% by the book hams (bootlickers) might want to fight me on it, but it is what it is. And when you key up a Baofeng and talk on those frequencies, nobody is going to know or care what radio you are on. OOB (with the correct settings) it is functionally identical to a clamshell GMRS radio.

The trick is knowing the EXACT settings in CHIRP to make it operate 100% within the functional specs to be legal. (it isnt hard)

And dont get me started on the ripoff that is GMRS licensing. A fee based license that requires no skills test is just a money grab.

*And Baofeng doesnt even take that seriously anymore. When they first released a properly type rated radio that was GMRS only (the UV-5G/UV-5X... same exact radio, just different numbers), it came with an antenna that was secured with a set screw. This apparently was good enough for the FCC. Fast forward a year, and now they are arriving with no set screw. You can see on the plastic where the screw should be, but its no longer there. LOL

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    This is an interesting thread because I've never thought about a hand-held ham radio.
    Lord knows I don't need a new hobby but my wife and I often travel to places and engage in outdoor activities where there is no cell signal and therefore no personal communication. Never mind the SHTF scenario.

I'm interested not as a hobby but for the practical benefit of contacting each other while skiing, hiking, or whatever else we do. I found a UV-5R 8w handheld on Amazon for $25. This is far far less than I expected. The range is the big question for me and I understand the answer is 'it depends'.

But, asking the question anyway, can I expect an 8-watt handheld with a good antenna to usually reach 3 miles? 5 miles? 8 miles?
    I know it can be very long or very short depending on the terrain.

Top Bottom