• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I have a 21 Gen 3 that I bring out when my son wants to shoot his .45 Kimber 1911. The Glock is big and feels big in the hands, but I can still shoot it as good as his Kimber. It’s stupid and I shouldn’t be able to, but it just works. It surprises me every time.
    I don't think its stupid. I shoot my G21g4 way better than I ever shot any 1911. Which is why I no longer own a 1911. I used to keep 8+1 and a spare 8 in the nightstand. 13+1 and a spare 13 just sounds a whole lot better, to me.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    My nightstand gun is a 21 and has been for years. Like all glocks I’ve owned (and most people would agree) 100% reliable with any and all ammunition.

I have a 36. Too big for me to carry IWB personally.

I bought a 29 (10mm) for woods and I have placed the 36 slide and barrel on it and carried the home made 30S a few times. But if the 36 is too big, you know a 30S is too big for my personal IWB preferences. Still cool and it was also 100% reliable.

Love that round and platform. I just need something more compact for my daily CCW.
    Kahr CM45?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If we are now suggesting other gun makers…
    this may be my next .45…
    2.jpg

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Double stack 45 feels a lot larger in the hands than a 1911 or even double stack 9mm.

I was hoping they’d make a gen4 of the 36, since I’m always worried about slide bite.
    I have a couple of Glock 36's...sold the G-21, the G-30, and the G-30S....the Glock 36 just fits in my smaller mitt a bit better and shoots just as nicely as did the others! I've never had a problem with slide bite! It carries well in an IWB or OWB (my preferred) holster as it's thin and lighter than most Glocks.

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    It carries well in an IWB or OWB (my preferred) holster as it's thin and lighter than most Glocks.

If I were to get a Glock in .45, it would be the G36. I've not spent a bunch of time pondering the .45 models, but I have been looking at the 10mms, and the width of that slide on the 20/29/21/30 is just crazy. It turns a gun design that's already kind of like a brick into a thicker brick...it's almost High-Point-esque. I'm sure, being Glocks, that they work just fine, and probably shoot very well, but consideration needs to be given to that fact they you're going to want to carry it around, and those things look like they'd be pretty uncomfortable and hard to conceal. I could maybe see it for a home defense or woods carry gun, but for EDC the 36 just seems like a nicer option. Apparently Glock thought so too, because for years it was their only single-stack offering. It's much closer dimensionally to my P220 Compact and P245, which I'm very happy with.

Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    I don't think its stupid. I shoot my G21g4 way better than I ever shot any 1911. Which is why I no longer own a 1911. I used to keep 8+1 and a spare 8 in the nightstand. 13+1 and a spare 13 just sounds a whole lot better, to me.
    I am so glad I am not alone on this. The faithful 1911 guys look at me and my “brick” like we are undignified, but I just keep shooting it and enjoying their displeasure! LOL

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I am so glad I am not alone on this. The faithful 1911 guys look at me and my “brick” like we are undignified, but I just keep shooting it and enjoying their displeasure! LOL
    Oh, I am quite sure we are not alone. If the 21 weren't popular, Glock never would have made a 41, or a 30, or a 36, or any of the S or SF versions thereof. The range rental I mentioned above was at Kodiak in South Bend. The magazine (and I assume the gun) was so worn out I put 14 rounds in it the first time I loaded it up, without even trying. And the gun worked just fine. SOMEBODY had to do all that shooting.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I owned a g21 gen 2, which is double stacked and has a big grip. Then got a g21 gen4, which is also double stacked and has a big grip. Then got the g30, which again is double stacked so big grip.

I’d like to give the g36 a try. Single stacked so might be fun.
    I thought it would be nice to have an actual optics ready 45 auto and checked out a G21 MOS last weekend in Muncie and the grip for me was simply too large. Then again even the 9mm double stack Glocks are quite bulky for smaller hands.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    So you guys are saying you shoot a G21 more accurately than a 1911 45acp?
    @Bassat
    @Gunaddict
    Affirmatory, good Buddy. Two very nice things about the G21g4 compared to the full-size, all steel 1911s I have owned (Colt, P-O, RIA, Kimber). The grip size and angle simply fits my hand(s) better; which means it points a LOT more naturally, and comes back on target naturally. Secondly, my right hand sits a lot closer (vertically) to the bore axis, greatly reducing muzzle flip and felt recoil. All of this adds up to more rounds on target, faster, than I could do with any 1911 I've ever owned. I do realize this applies to me, not necessarily to anyone else. I knew after I my first range trip with my G21, that I would be selling my 1911s. At that point, I'd been shooting 1911s for about 30 years.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The Glock 36 (with the KKM Precision 4.5" barrel and the Over-Watch Precision Flat-Faced 4# trigger) will run neck-n-neck with my Ruger Commander 1911, on paper, at the range...
    Outdoors, on the steel plates, with distances ranging further out to 20 - 30 yards, the 1911 has the edge in overall accuracy, probably mainly due to the SA trigger?

ev8F9UZ.jpg

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Affirmatory, good Buddy. Two very nice things about the G21g4 compared to the full-size, all steel 1911s I have owned (Colt, P-O, RIA, Kimber). The grip size and angle simply fits my hand(s) better; which means it points a LOT more naturally, and comes back on target naturally. Secondly, my right hand sits a lot closer (vertically) to the bore axis, greatly reducing muzzle flip and felt recoil. All of this adds up to more rounds on target, faster, than I could do with any 1911 I've ever owned. I do realize this applies to me, not necessarily to anyone else. I knew after I my first range trip with my G21, that I would be selling my 1911s. At that point, I'd been shooting 1911s for about 30 years.
    I have no experience with the G21 I had a G20sf. On a rest I could get 4-5" 5 shot groups at 50yds with it using 200gr WFNGC hard cast bullets loaded at around 1250fps. It really liked that handload. I used 800x which I'm out of and it's no longer being made unfortunately.
    However, my 1911 10mm definitely out shoots it out to 25yds. I need to shoot it off a rest at 50yds with a load it likes to see how accurate it is.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Just for the record... I don't do any ammunition loading. And I don't shoot anything at 25 yards. With open/iron sights, I keep most of my shooting at 5 to 10 yards.

Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    @Bassat
    @Gunaddict
    I’m saying I can shoot my 21 as accurately as I shoot my son’s Kimber 1911. He cannot shoot my 21 as accurately as his 1911. However, he is one of the people that does not like Glocks. There really is the right firearm for the right person. I am just enjoying trying different ones to find my favorites. Isn’t this great!!!

Top Bottom