Convincing the fiance to learn and like guns??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I'm right there with you right now luckily mine is open mixed and doesn't mind guns. She just doesn't really wanna carry. It's nice to find a woman though that when she puts her hand on your back and feels the butt of your pistol and doesn't freak out. You can find that you're a lucky man haha

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    As John Mellencamp (Ah the heck with it Johnny Cougar) once said.

"I married an LA woman
    brought her to this small town,
    Now she's small town,
    Just like me."

My wife was never around guns growing up (being from LA.)

She had a frightening incident before we met while rock climbing at the Red River Gorge where her and her friends lives were potentially saved by a Kentuckian, his 12 year old son, and a 1911 in the glove box of that beat up old car.

Her (and his) exact words to her (and hers to him) when he saw her running barefoot down a gravel road (she was putting her climbing shoes on when the incident took place) was this. They are forever burned in my memory.

Kentuckian.."Whoa, Whoa Missy, slow down...What's wrong."

Wife to be.."These seven guys have blocked our car and are beating one of my friends and threatened our lives. One put his knife near my throat"

Kentuckian.."Boy..Glove box. (12 year old grabs 1911 and racks one in the chamber before handing it to his father). My name is Mr. Goodparson..Get in and let's go help your friends..

As they pulled up to where the incident was taking place Mr. Goodparson fired two rounds (maybe three) in the air and skidded the car in a cloud of dust. Bad guys scattered like a covey of quail, jumped in their vehicles and left.

Local police show up and lecture my wife and her three friends about "folks from Louisville showing up down here with their fancy equipment and these poor kids got no jobs or future etc...And these things kind of happen."

Lesson learned by my wife...Always have a gun at all times...

Thanks for sharing. That's badass.

LuckyOne

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Parke County, IN
    My girlfriend had "some" interest so first I had her shoot the semi-auto Walther CO2 with blowback. It didn't kick hard, wasn't loud, and she loved it. Wanted MORE! Next we shot the Colt Cadet .22lr. One thing leads to another and now she wants to carry. Shooting the small frame, larger caliber, or combination could instill fear of the gun.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My wife is from Canada. She was never anti-gun, but guns are just not part the world she came from. Only handguns she ever saw were either in a LEO's holster or on TV. So when she met me it was all new to her. Didn't expect her to WANT to learn, but she did. She can shoot very well. She doesn't have her US citizenship yet, but she does have an IN LTCH! Gotta love Indiana! :D

Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    My wife, being of scientific nature got turned to the darkside after watching honey melons vaporize. Me being of red-neck nature, loved my 500 S&W almost as much as my wife. Let the "vaporizer" go kept the wife. Just never gonna know what does it for them.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I grew up with guns in the house but never liked pistols much. After I moved to the city life was too busy to continue with it for a long time. I met my wife got married and have been living the dream (mostly hers, lol) for a bit. We hit back snag in our relationship as we realized that we really didn't share any hobbies and I figured with her upbringing that my "lost" hobby was going to stay that way. Well one day out of the blue she comes to me and tells me, "I want a Baby Glock." After I picked my jaw up off the floor we had a long talk about it and guns and we found our mutual hobby. Now as for being a good shot... There's work to be done. Aiming is more point and bang for her and her target typically looks like Swiss cheese instead of nice groups. She refuses to take instruction or criticism from strangers and barely listens to me. I swear every time she pulls her gun from her holster she sweeps me, "You're pointing a loaded gun at me, do I need to shoot you in self defense to get my point across?" Anyway she's slowly getting there, which reminds me, she's running with one in the chamber right now, I need to get that out of there asap.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I finally got her to the range and she loved it! She shot an older Colt .22 (I forget the model number and she was ok with that), a Kel-Tec P11 (didn't like the trigger pull), a Taurus .38 snubnose (didn't really say if she liked it or not), and my custom built 1911 .45 (she liked it the best because of the easy trigger and little recoil)

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    My wife thought they were cool when I met her but had little to no experience, which understandably made her a little nervous. After years of her shooting she is a sure shot and we just got her a 1911 for her carry gun

clownsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Fishers
    For my wife, we talked through safety, an we talked through the ways guns worked , how to hold them, use them, clean them, when to use them, why to use them. I guess for me it required a good number of discussions about something I enjoyed and thought was necessary. I tried to never get into a "we need this for reason X, Y, and Z" discussion, because frankly, she's smarter than me and I couldn't win that one.

She learned to like when she saw what I enjoyed in them, and why I enjoyed it. When I finally got her to the range, her competitive tool over, and that was all she wrote.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I got my wife into shooting in baby steps first in the back yard with a BB gun just plink'n at some shoot'n see targets... she was watch'n me plink and I just ask her if she wanted to take a few shots, then we started taken about gun safety and from then on she was hooked and moved on to 22's and then on to 22 hand guns and so on, with gun safety as we went along.... She is a very good shot I have to say and we still plink with that ol' BB gun from time to time...

Hoosier Gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NE
    My husband decided he was going to purchase a gun and a that time, I was not too fond of the idea. I was raised around guns, but didn't like them. I'm not going to say I was traumatized, but I don't think my dad introduced me to shooting the proper way - kind of like throwing your kid in the lake and saying sink or swim.

Eventually I decided to go to a gun show with my husband and ended up getting my first gun - a walther p22. I didn't shoot it right away, but after I got around to it, I realized it wasn't that bad. The first trigger pull was horrible though. :lmfao: Only due to my imagination. ;)
    That was 5 or 6 years ago. However, I didn't really get into the whole hobby until I took a training class last year.

Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    I've been dating my fiancé for about 8 months now and she too came from no guns and no hunting in the family, her father is a pastor and retired school teacher that just didn't have the need or desire for these sports. I've since convinced her to hunt with me and by next years deer season she will at least have a deer thumper and maybe even a crossbow. SUCCESS!!!!!! Can't wait to marry this woman.

sportymonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Greenwood
    It's all about baby steps for some of us ladies. My husband has always been into hunting but recently started getting more into it. He's in a bow league and had been hunting a couple of time this year. He had been itching to buy a handgun which I just wasn't comfortable with. My whole life I had been helping and saving lives not taking them away. That was my mindset on it anyways. We also have 4 children that I cringed to think about being near a handgun.
    Fast forward 2 months ago. I finally gave up the unrealistic thought that if an intruder was to enter our home I could fight him off with the various baseball bats, etc. We went to a range and talked to one of the salesman. I had warned him that I was very nervous and he assured me that I would be just fine. I was more concerned with the "bang" than anything. I don't like the sound of biscuit cans popping; how in the world was I going to enjoy this? LOL Anyhoot, let hubs shoot a few to get my protected ears adjusted. I was so afraid but kept insisting and a few tears as well. Finally I told him that I would shoot the last 2 bullets. I resisted but said to myself, just hold the gun. Then went to just aim it but don't pull the trigger. Finally I said F' it and pulled the trigger. I liked it so much that I bought another round of ammo and shot the heck outta that paper. I'm hooked and realized that I was a little silly for having that fear all this time. I have been to several ranges every weekend from then on and bought my first gun ( SW MP Shield). I plan also on going to a class and hopefully joining next Sunday.

sportymonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Greenwood
    And if I can also add, we're stubborn creatures ( not that yall don't already know that). Let us push ourselves. If she's on the iffy line saying ehhh maybe next weekend. Then on that next weekend take her to the shooting range but let her push herself. You can provide the tools but it is ultimately up to her to use them. Make sense?

Top Bottom