• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Several times I have seen coyote hunters running dogs in Jackson county. I see them using tracking antenna, I assume to keep track of the dogs. I'm curious what equipment is used and on which frequencies.
    I have some radio tracking experience and am just curious. TIA

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Decoy dogs work very well while coyote hunting. I'm looking for a decoy dog to train now. It seems the coyote pays more attention to the dog than the hunter. A good dog will chase the coyote, then turn and run back to you. The coyote follows making an easy shot.

Last edited:

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Perhaps I should explain more. No I am not a coyote hunter. I do track radio tagged wildlife and occasionally pick up spurious signals on my radio. What I would like to know is generally what frequencies do dog trackers use? I need not have specific frequencies just the range of frequencies. I would then know if there could be conflicts.

soupy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Elkhart Co.
    My old tracking unit was a FL-10 blue box. They were in the 216 thur 219 frequencie range. Most guys are using garmin gps systems now.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Thanks soupy, that is the kind of info I am looking for. I know those guys in Jackson county are using radios because I have seen them with directional antennas. Thanks again.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    In central Kansas the favorite sport of the locals is coyote hunting with dogs. The hunters ride around in pickups with high dog boxes, like 4 feet above the cab, with 3 portholes on each side for the dogs to stick their heads out to see. When the dogs or hunters see a coyote the hunters pull a lever and the top flys back and the dogs jump out of the big topper. They use a lot of greyhounds..if the chase is short the greyhounds win, but the longer the chase goes on the coyote always wins.

Top Bottom