• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I am thinking of picking up a crank, or battery/solar/crank radio-lantern combo for emergencies. I'd prefer one that also has NOAA weather radio capabilities in addition to AM/FM. Anyone have any recommendations? I've only just started looking and have found a few with some mixed reviews. Then I thought to myself, "Self, I bet there are some guys (or gals) on :ingo: that might be able to steer me toward a good choice." So here I am... :)

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    I have a Eton FRX3 and it's OK for FM and Weather band reception but AM band has a lot of static for weaker stations. I left it out in the rain once and it still works (after it dried out for a couple days).

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I have a small Eton (smaller than a paperback book) and it is excellent for the multitude of features. AM/FM/Weather with multiple sources of power (batteries, solar, crank), flashlight, USB outlet to recharge cell phones/etc. It has a place in my bug out bag.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Pudly. I've been interested in the usb charging capabilities. Have you ever tried charging your cell with it and can you ballpark how long to put significant charge in a cell - say from 30% up to 60% via handcrank?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I've tried it a couple of times. It is fairly slow to charge as the outlet on mine is 0.8amps, while most powered USB hubs are 1.0-3.0amps. Sorry, I don't have a time for you. I was more interested in verifying that it would work for emergency charging rather than timing it. It isn't a system that I would use for normal recharging of your cell phone.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Pudly. I've been interested in the usb charging capabilities. Have you ever tried charging your cell with it and can you ballpark how long to put significant charge in a cell - say from 30% up to 60% via handcrank?

I've tried it a couple of times. It is fairly slow to charge as the outlet on mine is 0.8amps, while most powered USB hubs are 1.0-3.0amps. Sorry, I don't have a time for you. I was more interested in verifying that it would work for emergency charging rather than timing it.
    Some that I looked at said that 1 minute of cranking would give you 3 minutes of talk time. I'm sure that's just a ball park figure though. Sounds like running it off the AAA batteries or solar works better for cell phone charging. When I'm camping, I take an extra deep cycle marine battery with a power inverter so I won't be relying on mine for charging the phone but at least it's there for emergency use.

Top Bottom