• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Hey everyone,

I have an older home, built in the mid-60s on a crawl space, which I really don't care to work in. The crawl space really needs some cleaning done and a trench w/ drainage tile installed. As soon as the weather breaks, I plan on trying to get this done. I already took out about half the insulation that was put in wrong and falling down. Additionally, I just got done completely gutting one of our bathrooms and the sub-floor is likely rotted. My bathroom contractor will take care of that floor like he did the other one (saw it out and put in new), however I'm sure there is some water damage to the joist and maybe even the surrounding floor.

I'm looking for some suggestions on some good, reasonably price companies that do crawl space cleaning and repair. I might go ahead and just hire someone to do it. To make matters worse, we are now getting carpenter ants in our kitchen. We've had the smaller ants every so often, and I usually bait them, but this year I sprayed and they died and never came back. Maybe that was a mistake as they were keeping the larger ants away? Either way, I need to call my exterminator because the crawl space needs treated for sure. One thing I noticed is that there is an area between two joist that not only did they put in insulation, they also put clear plastic over it. I hope my exterminator will remove it before spraying, but I don't know. My fear is that the ants will use that small section (There are water pipes that run through this area, but I still have no idea why they would insulate and seal with plastic barrier) as a protective area. If the exterminator can't/won't remove this stuff, any suggestions on companies or a person that might? I read today that using plastic to seal insulation is a bad idea, so of course now the fear is the ants are living in the joists, at least in one section or another.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As I understand carpenter ants, they live in wood that has moisture in it. I would be looking for water leaks, condensation, etc. that would be getting your joists, sub-floor, etc. wet.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I feel your pain. One of my projects is to dig a sump pump pit and install a sump pump this summer. Sooner rather than later while it's still easy enough to dig.
    On the ants, try TERRO. We've had great success with it. Luckily, no carpenter ants... but it beats spraying all the time. Once we got them under control I set a few traps outside each spring, and no more ant problems.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    First thing, get rid of the insulation immediately. All that does is trap and hold moisture. Plastic too? Guess what that does?

No one is going to be cheap.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    On the ants, try TERRO. We've had great success with it. Luckily, no carpenter ants... but it beats spraying all the time. Once we got them under control I set a few traps outside each spring, and no more ant problems.

I've used Terro on the smaller ants, but these larger carpenter ants cover so much more ground they found my food stash in one cabinet. I decided to go the spray route at that time, but will definitely be sitting out some bait. I might try the traps outside as well. Usually the extermination runs around $100 for spraying the inside, along the foundation, and in the crawl. I have a feeling this time it might be more as I will need them to tear out that insulation and check the joist and stuff for signs of these ants living in my home. Hopefully there isn't too much damage.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I had a basement waterproofing system (drainage system around the perimiter of the foundation) put in by AllDry. It was expensive but I haven't had any water in the basement since they did the work in 07. They do crawl spaces as well.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    First thing, get rid of the insulation immediately. All that does is trap and hold moisture.

I'm gonna have the exterminator remove the rest of it, depending on how much extra they charge. I had to remove most of the stuff that had fallen and you are right in that it is a trap, well to an extent. I discovered in my crawl space, the insulation under the bulk of the home isn't all that bad. However, the crawl space wall gets damp during heavy rains, it then transfers it to the insulation right at the perimeter, which then sucks it up until it falls out of place anyway.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Rookie is right.
    get rid of EVERY bit of insulation AND plastic. Check your joists and subfloor for water damage, and repair/replace as needed.
    the ants wouldn't be there if there wasn't moisture. Find the moisture problem, and the ants are easy to kill.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Neighbors had some carpenter ants and weren't sure what to do with them. I'd had some and exterminated them. When I was building my new deck out back, I had occasion to cut out some damaged ledger board. I showed it to her and she got on the exterminator thing immediately. They don't eat the wood for food like termites, but they do eat the soft parts for nesting purposes.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Americrawl or Acculeval are my go to guys when I moved into a new house that needed some attention.
    Great ratings and price.

Top Bottom