• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yikes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    South of Gnaw Bone
    I have never been to Crosley and need to know what to take with me. Do they have stands to attach paper targets or do I need to provide? In the old days I would take a cardboard box and tape paper target. What else?

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    They are pretty good at keepng cardbard up for the target stands and they usually keep extra in the small building next to the check in stand. They have covered benches with stools. So ideally you should only bring targets to hang, firearms and some type of rest if desire one. I usually take a long piece of cardboard and a staple gun with me just in case, but the last few times, did not need them. Mainly just read the rules and have fun. Best to go early during the week....

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    These guys have it covered! Bring drinks and some snacks for sure, sometimes the target stands are good sometimes they are destroyed. I'd bring means of setting a target up just to be safe. Weekdays are better for sure, Saturday mornings are packed, early. :noway:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have never been to Crosley and need to know what to take with me. Do they have stands to attach paper targets or do I need to provide? In the old days I would take a cardboard box and tape paper target. What else?

Just a suggestion, but the range at Atterbury is a whole lot closer to metropolitan Gnaw Bone than Crosley is. It's also supervised, well-equipped and well-run.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    That and............

At crosley you can shoot 200 yds

Each different range (there are now 5) will be hot when you want it hot and cold when you want it cold. Practically speaking, there will never be more than 2-4 shooters at each distance and usually only 2. When you need to go down to the target line you only have to talk to one other guy. The guy shooting at 10 yards has no effect on the shooters at 30, 50, 100, or 200 due to the berms between the lanes. Crosley may tend to be busier as deer season approaches but I usually have the place to myself when I go early on a weekday. Did I mention it's free?

yikes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    South of Gnaw Bone
    closer to metropolitan Gnaw Bone
    Well I ain't one a them high brow city-fied folks that live in downtown Gnaw Bone, I live out a ways.

What Indiucky said about high clearance vehicle struck home. My wife needed her Jeep and I drive a two seat sports car so I changed plans and went to Atterbury. I hadn't been there in 20 years. Sure is different.
    Very well run. Very tightly run. $6 per hour, uh okay, someone has to pay for all the improvements (and there are a lot of improvements)(I didn't see one used condom). Had to give away my driver's license. Umm had to think about that a while. Did it, didn't like it. No one had to tell me to put on hearing protectors! Wow, the 300 Win. next to me was loud! I sent 20 bullets downrange and stayed only an hour. I worked in three shot groups and had 4 groups at 3". I had never shot a center fire before and was happy to learn that the recoil from this sks is next to nothing. Talked (well, yelled) with a couple of friendly guys. Had one guy fire my rifle a couple of times to make sure everything was working well (I fired it first, gun was new to me, did not want it to blow up,,yes I had cleaned it-though it did not need it). The guy with the 300 win. wanted me to take a shot, which I declined because,,well because I'm a wuss. Maybe next time.
    I'll go to Crosley next week. I bought this rifle at the gun store in North Vernon (great guys, btw)and want to get back there to see what can be done with these iron sights to tighten the grouping.

Last edited:

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I go to Crosley fairly regular and there are usually several small cars in the parking lot. I do come in the back way and don't cross the onelane bridge anymore. Crosley is an excellent range and I go there over Atterbury. I'm just not a fan of the "range nazis" at atterbury. Just my 2 cents worth.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm just not a fan of the "range nazis" at atterbury.

"The range nazis [sic] at Atterbury". That always cracks me up. The RSOs and the rules which they enforce are for the safety of all concerned. It's actually run pretty fast and loose compared to any military range on which I ever fired. If the folks at Atterbury are mere Nazis, the ones running military ranges must have been hard-core Waffen SS. (Or maybe some people just have a problem with being told what to do.)

Top Bottom