• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    We went to Crosley this afternoon to test some new .223 loads in a couple of bolt guns and do some .22lr plinking. Took two Savages, an LRPV and a 10FCP-K, which we will shoot in a competitive/social event next month. Had loads using 69 and 52 gr Sierra HPBTs and had good results with both. Good enough for one minute-of-water-balloon at 200 yards, anyway. :D We also had a slightly modified 10/22 and T/C Benchmark. Not surprisingly, the T/C outshot the Ruger but part of the difference was in the scopes. Both guns have 3-9 scopes. A Nikon Prostaff is on the Ruger and the T/C has an old Bushnell Scopechief. The Scopechief is so much clearer and brighter it's hard to believe. Both guns shot well and we shot until we ran out of ammo about the same time the rain stopped. There were 4 people shooting at one of the shorter distances when we arrived around 1:45 but most of the time, we had the whole place to ourselves.

Now the not so good. For those who are not familiar, Crosley is a public range run by DNR. It's free and usually unsupervised. It has several different distances from which to shoot. They are all separated by large berms so, for example, shooters at the 100 yard line can safely walk to the target line while the adjacent ranges are hot. There are signs all over the place clearly stating the rules and reminding us that vandalism has caused the closure of many ranges. Apparently, there are some shooters visiting Crosley who either can't or won't read or simply think the rules don't apply to them. So..........If you're one of the slob-shooters who use the range stool to prop up your target mid-range then shoot the stool to pieces or one of the inconsiderate SOBs who leave your trash all over the place, please do us all a favor. Go to a supervised range. You're clearly not mature or intelligent enough to be unsupervised. If you are one of the guilty parties and you're offended, how about that! It's jerks like you who will cause the closure of a nice facility.

Thanks for your time......... rant off!

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Some of the DNR ranges I have used secure the wooden seat to the shooting tables with a resonable length of steel cable so the vandals can't shoot them up when nobody else is watching. If someone can't be trusted not to vandalize public property with a firearm, then that's the kind of idiot who shouldn't have one. Too much of this stupidity out there unfortunately, and the bad apples give the majority of shooters who are repsonsible a bad name.

Trading_Fool

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I love crosley. It is an hour away for me, but well worth the drive. I enjoy that it is not supervised in that you can shoot, reload, and change targets whenever you want. Last year I saw the damage that idiots can do when they ran a car thru the 200yrd bench. Other than that, I have found everyone there that I have encountered to be respectful and safe. Even when all ranges are full, someone will make room for you. It reminds me of the range in New Castle before they put the prison in.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Haven't been for awhile but always had good experience with everyone I met. Once was there when the DNR guys took the high school kids down for some kind of hunter safety course. Nicest bunch of kids I have met in some time. Very interested in firearms and all were safety conscious. To bad the dummies that shoot up the stools take advantage of it's rural location.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Me and my fiancé always use the first range there, but the last time we were there the target holders were destroyed and it's kind of annoying. We usually do a little bit of extra cleaning after we are done though to show our appreciation for a safe range. Hopefully if others do this as well it might not get destroyed.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    We pass Crosley a lot but I've never gotten to stop to shoot as its a 2 hr drive from my home. I have a buddy that goes there and likes it.
    Its too bad you have idiots that feel the need to destroy stuff, but its reality.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have been to Crosley a few times. Yes, some jack asses vandalize/destroy the property. Just look at all the bullet holes in the awnings. One day a friend and I went to shoot rifle. Some jack ass was on the 200 yard line shooting pistol. He decided to put his target stand 15 yards from the shooting line. If you have to wait, tough ****, don't ruin it for other shooters.

Trading_Fool

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have to update.:( I went to crosley today and it was pretty busy, so my friend and I thought we would move a target box on the 100yrd to 50yrd. And I know this is a bad idea, but stupidity sometimes rules. Needless to say my friend recieved a warning for our stupidity. Just for future reference. Obey the rules.:n00b:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Overall I like going over to Crossley. It is a nice place to go if you want to sight in a gun. Especially if it is raining because the shooting tables have a roof. I do wish people would respect the range. Also, it never ceases to amaze me how unsafe some people are when handling their guns. But thankfully these individuals seem to be the exception not the rule.

Top Bottom