• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Was wondering about crossbows. Didn't know they were allowed in late archery. So now I think I want to get one. What are the regs for them and what do I need to look for in getting one and would use broadheads from a regular arrow or do they have special weight for them? Total newbie here. Thanks.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Crossbows legal only in late archery season. Crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 125-pounds and a mechanical safety.

www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2343.htm

317-232-4200

You may take either sex if you have not killed an antlered deer in a previous season.

The NRC passed the DNR proposal to allow the use of crossbows in all deer seasons starting in 2012.

If you can find a pro shop that will allow you to shoot several brands you can make your own choice.

You can use any broadhead. I prefer the NAP Spitfire mechanicals as they fly same POI as my field points and make devestating holes in deer.

Most manufacturers will state the weight of the arrow for their crossbows. I shoot and hunt with a TenPoint and 425 grains is what they recommend.

I would suggest to you for a starter crossbow to look at the Wicked Ridge line. They are made by TenPoint but less expensive. Be sure to get a cocking aid as it allows you to cock the bow easier and REALLY helps on accuracy.

Good luck and ask any other question that you might have.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I use heavy fixed blade head .... 150 Gr. If you have never used a crossbow I highly suggest stopping in to a bow shop that carries them and knows about them so they can give you a quick run down on them. Even though these things are faaaasstttt they still drop like a rock and you need to be very familiar with that. If you dont have a good range finder get one........ Especially in getting it for late season this year. Another point is even though they are fast and accurate way out, dont use it for long range. Crossbows are inherently loud. If you try for the long shots the chances are better than not that you will get a deer to jump the string. I highly suggest getting a multi reticle scope made for a crossbow also because of the rainbow effect the arrow has when it leaves the bow. Speed doesnt matter with a crossbow when talking about drop. There isnt a 0 - 40 with one pin like alot of the speed bows. I used to shoot souped up Mathews bow. At 320 FPS I was almost 0-40 with one pin. My crossbow is chronoed at 325 FPS and it drops like a rock. I highly suggest the Excalibur crossbows. EXCELLENT service with lifetime warranty and built rock solid. If you break a string in the field you can fix it right then and continue on. If you dont get the Excalibur crossbow at least look into thier vari-zone scope. They are excellent!! If you are ever up my way i would be glad to help you with anything crossbow.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Thank for the tips. I've never been good with a compound bow and this would allow me to hunt without the pressure from guns season and the deer won't be on edge so much.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I highly suggest the Excalibur crossbows. EXCELLENT service with lifetime warranty and built rock solid. If you break a string in the field you can fix it right then and continue on. If you dont get the Excalibur crossbow at least look into thier vari-zone scope. They are excellent!! If you are ever up my way i would be glad to help you with anything crossbow.

I'm so glad you posted that. I've been trying to figure out which commercial it was I was seeing with the recurve crossbow, and now I know it was the Excalibur. :yesway:

Top Bottom