• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Mini 14's are notorious for stringing their shots, usually vertically, as the barrel heats up. This is supposed to be because of stresses induced in the steel by the manufacture of the barrel.
    My Mini 14 had that problem. I had the barrel treated by 300 Below: Firearms (Cryo-Barrel)
    These are the results:
    First, before treatment, 5 shots from a cold barrel, 50 yards, iron sights. 1st shot, ~4 inches low, 2nd, ~2inches low, 3rd, 4th, and 5th at point of aim.
    IMGP0154.jpg

Next, after treatment, 5 shots, as before, same shooter, same distance. All shots clustered around point of aim.
    IMGP0155.jpg

The target is a 4 inch circle. Here is the same target with a quarter for size comparison.
    IMGP0156.jpg

Based on this limited test, I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Cryogenic treatment, at least that by 300 Below, works to reduce stringing. Due to time constraints and the fact that I forgot my muffs and had only earplugs, I was unable to fire more rounds (my ears are still recovering). If I find that the stringing returns when the barrel heats up, I will report that.

2. This gun will shoot 1 inch at 50 yards; maybe better (if I remember my earmuffs), but I believe that any outside that group are my fault and a smaller group will indicate I am improving as a shooter.

It cost me about $90; I believe the money I paid 300 Below was well spent. If your gun shifts point of impact as it heats up, I recommend you consider this treatment.

Last edited:

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    How long did it take to have this done? From the time you sent/delivered to when you got it back? I've always wondered how well it would work. Thanks for sharing!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How long did it take to have this done? From the time you sent/delivered to when you got it back? I've always wondered how well it would work. Thanks for sharing!

I sent the barrel on Tuesday and got it back the following Monday. Usually, they treat barrels over the weekend and ship them back on Tuesday. I would say, plan for it to be gone 7-10 days, to be safe. They are located in Decatur, Illinois, so shipping time is about 1 day (UPS).

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    All of the Mini's I have had I sent to 300below, great outfit. The stringing can still occur, but you have to have an AC556 to get the rounds out of it fast enough! :D I could not get mine to string after the cryotreat.

Next item is a adjustable gas regulator, keep that bolt from slamming into the reciever. Then maybe a barrel stabilizer or heavy flash hider and you are in business for MOA horseplay!

Miss my Mini's, I hope the folks I sold 'em to are enjoying beating up on some AR folks (stupid recession, makin' me sell me darn Mini's, bumble-grumble......)

(Now here comes all the tactical kool-aid drinkers about how the Mini sucks and etc... :( )

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    I believe in Cryo .Really good for an AR15 if you shoot NRA HighPower . I need to do my Savage mod 12 in 204, gets very hot after 25 rounds and moves impact greatly

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've never owned or shot a mini-14, but i hear they are crappy and why would you want one?

I like mine because:

1. It is lightweight, short, and handy; like an M-1 carbine with more power and cheaper ammo.

2. It seems to shoot pretty well. It's not a benchrest gun, but I'm not really a benchrest shooter.

3. Maybe the main reason is, it looks like a rifle, not a toy.:D

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Interesting thread. I have considered getting some stuff done. I can attest that the cryro does seem to work real well on brake rotors.

P

Partychief67

Does it work on stainless steel?

Hello from Texas! I accidentally found you forum on google looking for cryo barrel treatment. Must be a brand new technology with regard to gunsmithing because there is not a ton of information about it.

I am wondering, is it possible to cryo-treat stainless barrels? I have a 10 y.o. Mini 14 ranch rifle in stainless and just bought my son a twin to it for Christmas.

If the cryo bath will truly cure barrel creep I would be willing to shell out the dough for it...

Thanks, Adam V.

nrar15

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Attica
    Doug do you have any contact info? I have a barrel for my 6.5x55 tactical that I woul like to have treated.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My Mini 14 is stainless and it worked fine. I did my son's rifle at the same time; it is also stainless. They both showed definite improvement.

The company is 300 Below. Indications are that the treatment must be done right or it might put more stresses in the barrel. On the Perfectunion Mini 14 forum, 300 Below has a good reputation.
    Here is the link: Firearms (Cryo-Barrel)

Good Luck, guys, and report back with your experiences, please.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I've never owned or shot a mini-14, but i hear they are crappy and why would you want one?

I have to agree with you. I have no idea why someone would want one but because I'm the generous sort I'll give $25 for em just to take them off the poor souls hands. ;)

Top Bottom