• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Just finished up my personal open division gun a couple weeks ago and thought I would share. This is an open division 2011 pistol for USPSA competitions as well as steel challenge. Pistol is still in the white and hasnt been finished or even final surface prepped for coating. It will get sent out in a couple weeks for a PVD type coating after I shoot an upcoming indoor match in Illinois (and I will update with a couple new pics). Caliber is 38 supercomp, SVI steel grip, PT frame, SVI slide and and SVI hybrid island barrel with 3 holes. It definitely is a unique piece and I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out. Now i just need to find out if the new gat makes me a better shooter :rolleyes:

1ce15.jpg

wj9kdw.jpg

2i6f85v.jpg

fuo1l.jpg

33c9qpi.jpg

mw9wk9.jpg

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Very NICE ! Great job on blending the grip safety . I'm not well versed on the 2011 . Is the grip safety pinned down or just a low profile ?

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Very NICE ! Great job on blending the grip safety . I'm not well versed on the 2011 . Is the grip safety pinned down or just a low profile ?

Grip safety on a 2011 is the same as a 1911. This one is inactivated/pinned and I kinda went overboard on the blending of the bump on the grip safety. I really like the ed brown grip safeties, but hate the memory grove bump. So i blend the snot outta em until it feels good to me.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    HO LEE COW! Amazing looking!
    What is the shoe horn in front of the optic for? I'm guessing to prevent blow back from obstructing the optic. Maybe reflecting light in a favorable way?

Edit to add, I LOVE the raw steel look. No coating, color or change...just metal!

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    HO LEE COW! Amazing looking!
    What is the shoe horn in front of the optic for? I'm guessing to prevent blow back from obstructing the optic. Maybe reflecting light in a favorable way?

Edit to add, I LOVE the raw steel look. No coating, color or change...just metal!

thanks for all of the kind words. The shoe horn is just a blast shield. The optic gets pretty dirty with all the gasses leaving the comp and barrel holes. The lens would have to be cleaned constantly without it.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Good job, Pat! Sure looks purty. I also vote for the bare metal look. Can you get a PVD coating that preserves that appearance?

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Good job, Pat! Sure looks purty. I also vote for the bare metal look. Can you get a PVD coating that preserves that appearance?

Thanks buddy!!! I don't know of a clear PVD coating, but there is a matte clear cerakote. But......something about high dollar guns and spray paint that kinda rubs me wrong!!! It will get a PVD coating of some shade of silver to gray to black.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    That's beautiful, and obviously expensive. I know it's gauche to ask, but what kinda dinero would I need to get into a competition rig like that?

Well.....this one has some of the most expensive parts you could put in a gun of this type so it elevates the cost of this build quite a bit. Parts for this build are over $3k, but you could build an open gun with parts in the 2k range. Then add labor and finishing costs to that, so not a cheap endeavor. You can get into this sport way cheaper than that by running a production or limited gun.

Top Bottom