• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Litawolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2019
    Lebanon
    I have a lot of free time on my hands. So I’d like to try building my first rifle. I’m just not sure where to begin or where to get information on how to build said rifle.

Id like to build a heavy hitter rifle. 100% custom but I’d like to do as much of the work myself.
    I don’t have a cnc so I know I cant work the metal.

There is no real budget. I want something that can survive anything I throw at it.

Im looking for long range accuracy but the hitting power of a ford pickup.

id also like to put my state flag on it.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    lots of good ideas... need more info.
    Does "rifle" mean bolt-gun or semi-auto?
    Any caliber/range of calibers you're considering. Does long range mean 300 yds or 1200 yds for you?
    Does hitting power of a Ford pickup mean enough to take a deer at 500 yds, or punch through a vehicle at 1000 yds?

Caliber options: .243, .223, 7mm-08, .308, 6.5 creedmoor, 300 win mag, 7mm RUM, 338 Lapua ... and literally dozens of other options.
    If you're punching paper at 700 yds or less, the .243 is a great and economical option.

Krieger/Shilen/Shaw/Lilja are good barrels

Would there be a problem with starting with a factory rifle and then customizing it?
    Remington, Tikka/Sako, Savage all have capable setups that can be customized.

Happy hunting

Litawolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2019
    Lebanon
    lots of good ideas... need more info.
    Does "rifle" mean bolt-gun or semi-auto?
    Any caliber/range of calibers you're considering. Does long range mean 300 yds or 1200 yds for you?
    Does hitting power of a Ford pickup mean enough to take a deer at 500 yds, or punch through a vehicle at 1000 yds?

Caliber options: .243, .223, 7mm-08, .308, 6.5 creedmoor, 300 win mag, 7mm RUM, 338 Lapua ... and literally dozens of other options.
    If you're punching paper at 700 yds or less, the .243 is a great and economical option.

Krieger/Shilen/Shaw/Lilja are good barrels

Would there be a problem with starting with a factory rifle and then customizing it?
    Remington, Tikka/Sako, Savage all have capable setups that can be customized.

Happy hunting

Im looking for a semi auto rifle at 500 yds.

Hitting power is vehicle.

I was thinking of the 6.5. But i want to make my own ammo.

I have a sig716. It’s a good rifle but i don’t know anything but to take down and put back together.

Im hoping for a last resort type of rifle.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I can highly recommend Isaac Frank of Southern Indiana Precision if you are looking for a custom precision rifle.

If you want to roll your own, well, there are some options.

There are a number of quality, lower cost custom actions today that are 700 footprint but use Savage threaded barrels, such as the Bighorn Origin and ARC Nucleus. With either of these actions, you can install any 700 trigger, spin on any Savage small shank barrel, bolt it into the 700SA chassis or stock of your choice, and go shoot. Some barrel shops can also make shouldered prefit barrels that you simply spin on, due to the tight tolerances of these actions ensuring proper headspace; no need for a barrel nut.

Since you say you are looking for a 'heavy hitter' but don't define your needs or wants beyond that, I'm going to assume you want 1. long-range capability, 2. lots of downrange energy, and 3. probably don't reload. With that in mind, here is what I would do:

Bighorn Origin long action with .535 magnum boltface
    Bartlein Heavy Palma or M24 contour, 1:9 (or 1:8) twist barrel shouldered prefit barrel finished @ 26" and threaded 5/8-24 from Bugholes.com as shouldered Origin prefit chambered in 300WM or 300PRC
    Timney 510 or TriggerTech Special trigger
    Chassis or stock of your choice

Top Bottom