• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    I was entertaining the idea of making a pair of grips for my Colt Mustang. Has anyone ever made a pair? Figured I would do a "trial" run in pine just make sure my skills are up to par then go for the real thing..

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Got a guy local that does nice work. His warning was to watch out what woods you use, some are rather nasty/maybe dangerous- if the dust inhaled (think poison ivy related). Could cause skin reactions as well.

If you have a set to copy and go slow you should do fine, even with "good wood" from the start (but the use of a lesser wood for first try is a smart idea).

My dad made Ruger SA walnut grips from scratch years ago, being a novice........ and they came out looking perfect. Made a few sets too.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Got a guy local that does nice work. His warning was to watch out what woods you use, some are rather nasty/maybe dangerous- if the dust inhaled (think poison ivy related). Could cause skin reactions as well.

Sorry but that just sounds like a big fat lie to try to get you to have him do it and scare you from doing it your self.

Back to the OP....Go for it! The worst thing that could happen is you dont like them and throw them away or try it again. Wood is cheap and time is your own.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    I'm installing some Brazilian walnut (Ipe) flooring right now and even though I'm admittedly one of those pesky professionals that tries to talk DIY'ers out of ... well, DIY'ing, I can assure you that there are very toxic wood species out there, Ipe being one of those worst. Splinters, airborne dust, heck even as kobra suggested just having the dust on sweaty skin can cause a reaction... Be careful out there. Even oak dust is a carcinogen iirc. I don't see why this would ever be taken as a deterrent from even trying it, to me it's just a cautionary warning to wear a dust mask and long sleeves... go for it.

Top Bottom