• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    I thought I'd share with anyone interested.

For the last couple weeks I've been looking for a high quality glow-in-the-dark paint for my Glock 19's factory rear sight. I purchased an Ameri-glo front night sight a while back. I wanted to keep the rear sight because I like it better than the 3 dot sights.

I'm put up quick before & after pics. I only put one layer of paint, I'm going to put another layer or 2 on and seal it with clear nail polish as recommended.

Not the best "after" picture, I'll take another when it's completely done. I don't know why but my camera barely pics up the night sights glow. But the paint is like 10 times brighter than the sight.

The product is called Glow On. FYI, this can be used on more than just sights.

link to product ---> Glow-On

link to videos ----> http://www.youtube.com/user/GlowonSPP

Before
    IMG00774-20111003-1302.jpg

After
    glow.jpg

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Interesting. Can you do a simple test for us? Place the gun in dark location for a few hours and see if they still glow. All of the "glow paints" etc that I have seen don't last. It would be great if this does! Thanks and keep us posted.

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Interesting. Can you do a simple test for us? Place the gun in dark location for a few hours and see if they still glow. All of the "glow paints" etc that I have seen don't last. It would be great if this does! Thanks and keep us posted.

I'll put it in a room for a few hours and I'll also try it at night when my eyes are adjusted to the darkness to see if I can see it. I'll update tomorrow.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll put it in a room for a few hours and I'll also try it at night when my eyes are adjusted to the darkness to see if I can see it. I'll update tomorrow.

Chances are you won't be able to. Non-tritium night sight materials typically work by gathering light while they're exposed to and storing it, as it were, for dark periods. Because of this, they have be periodically "recharged".

After one night, you'll probably see a little dimming but not much. After a few nights, you'll probably have to leave it in light somewhere for a while.

It's the big advantage of tritium or similar compounds. Because they're moderately radioactive, they generate light without assistance.

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Here's an update.

To get the paint to glow, all you need to do is put a light on it for a few seconds and it instantly glows bright. You can keep the flashlight on it for longer and it will be at its brightest.

Before I went to sleep, I put my light on it for a minute. I woke up 8 hours later. The glow wasn't as bright as it was 8 hours before, but I could still clearly see it along with the night sight. The paint was glowing at just about the same brightness as the night sight.

I sleep with my Glock on a night stand and a LED flashlight right next to it, so all I have to do is flash the light and it would be glowing bright and ready to go in half a second.

In my opinion, for what I needed the paint for, I love it and it does the job. :yesway:

In the picture, that's about the brightest it gets when the paint completely sets & dries. The glow is like 10 times brighter than the night sight.

glow1.jpg

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree with most everything Tebow said.

I bought some for my XDm. I have been considering putting night sights on it but really don't have the money. I feel this was a great compromise.

If you need the night sights, you can charge them quickly with only 2 seconds of flashlight and the sights glow a noticeable amount in darkness for hours, especially after your eyes adjust.

Glow-onSights.jpg

In the regular daylight, you really can't tell at all they are any different than the standard sights.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I wonder if the paint will charge off a red lense as not to destroy your night vision....Anyone want to try that for us?

Also, we need to find the line between "custom" and "homemade" :D

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    I agree with most everything Tebow said.

I bought some for my XDm. I have been considering putting night sights on it but really don't have the money. I feel this was a great compromise.

If you need the night sights, you can charge them quickly with only 2 seconds of flashlight and the sights glow a noticeable amount in darkness for hours, especially after your eyes adjust.

Glow-onSights.jpg

In the regular daylight, you really can't tell at all they are any different than the standard sights.

Very nice! :yesway: I'm glad you like it as well.

I wonder if the paint will charge off a red lense as not to destroy your night vision....Anyone want to try that for us?

Also, we need to find the line between "custom" and "homemade" :D

I have a red lense from a small strobe light and shined my light through it and it still got a bright charge. I think as long as you can get light on it, it's good.

Top Bottom