• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Anyone out ther using a cva kodiak for deer? Want ot know what kind of bullets/sabots you are using and how they perform. Looking for ballistics,powders, and the terminal performance you are seeing. I'm trying to decide what to use in mine and looking for an easy-loading, accurate bullet with good performance on game.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Anyone out ther using a cva kodiak for deer? Want ot know what kind of bullets/sabots you are using and how they perform. Looking for ballistics,powders, and the terminal performance you are seeing. I'm trying to decide what to use in mine and looking for an easy-loading, accurate bullet with good performance on game.

I don't have a Kodiak, but I do have a CVA Wolf. It really likes Triple 7 pellets and the Powerbelt Aerotips. I've shot everything else and it is the most consistently accurate by good measure.

:twocents:

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Look around and see if you can find some Blackhorn 209 powder. I do not yet have first hand experience with it, but every review I have found has been fantastic. Guys are sending 30+ shots downrange without so much as a single swab between shots. It is also very non-hygroscopic so it has a much longer shelf life than other powders. It's not the cheapest stuff around, but seems to be the absolute cleanest BP substitute. This will be my first year with a muzzleloader and it is the powder I will be using. You can find more info here: Blackhorn 209

As far as bullets, a lot of that depends on the shooter and the area you intend to hunt. Are you recoil sensitive? Do you enjoy getting kicked by a mule every time you squeeze the trigger? Will you be in heavy woods or open fields? How long will your longest shot be? I don't know everything, but I do know that in general Hornady makes some pretty good stuff. I plan on using a Hornady with ballistic tip, either an FPB or a SST.

Every gun is different. Even two muzzleloaders built next to each other in production will have their own unique preferences as far as powder, charge, primer, & bullet. You can start with the cheapest stuff you can find at Walmart and eventually find something that will sorta work. My approach is the exact opposite; start with high quality, proven components and find a combination that works well in my rifle.

Good luck and happy hunting!

ETA: I don't have a Kodiak either, I got a great deal on a T/C Impact.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Look around and see if you can find some Blackhorn 209 powder.
    Gander Mountain has it. It's about $30.

In my CVA Wolf it doesn't fire reliably. The powder takes up a different volume and the bullet doesn't sit as well as it does with 2 triple seven pellets.

It "delay fires" unlike the triple seven pellets, so I don't use it as it affects my accuracy.

YMMV, try it and find out.

geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    I guess my biggest question is how bullets perform on game. I have heard many detractors of the powerbelt bullets due to poor performance/lack of expansion.If i can find a bullet that works reliably i can work on a load to make it tick.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I know tons of folks who use Powerbelts, they work just fine.

As for me, I am 1 for 1 with them. Dropped her in her tracks from 75 yards.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I launch 250gr T/C Shockwaves from my CVA Wolf. Does just fine and is actually one of the most accurate weapons I own with them. I've got some Powerbelts but have never shot them.

I could be dead wrong, as I've only been in the muzzle loading game for a couple of seasons, but even if a 250-350gr 50 caliber bullet completely failed, I don't think it would matter much; probably just a bit more tracking.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    IMHO, accuracy is the most important factor. Second comes bullet performance. Find something you can shoot most accurately with first.

Top Bottom