• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I love the little CZ 82/83 pistols and was able to pick up a somewhat hard to find variant about a year ago. Got a very gently used CZ-83 in 7.65 Browning or .32 acp. It had languished in the safe until today when work took me out to near Redbrush Rifle Range. So of course, after inspecting some land, I hit the range for a quick session.

picture.php

The CZ-83 is a steel frame/slide, fixed barrel, blowback operated design (a’ la Walther) and is a traditional double action/single action pistol. It is not the smallest nor the lightest pistol but the overall size and weight is somewhere between a compact and sub-compact. Commonly found in 9x18 Makarov and .380 acp, the .32 acp variant is a little harder to come by, especially now that CZ-USA no longer is importing the CZ-83 model. I replaced the factory grips with a set of Marschal fingergroove walnut grips.

The trigger on this example had the expected longish but smooth take up but had a surprisingly crisp breaking point, different from other CZ 82/83 pistols I have shot. Reliability was perfect, about 50 rounds of Fiocchi 73 gr FMJ and 20 rounds of Federal 65 gr Hydroshok HP were fired.

I first loaded two mags to their full 15 round capacity and stepped up to the plate rack. This is an array of six 9" steel plates set out about 50' or so. Happily my 30 rounds dropped the six plates 5X with no misses. I was not rushing it but was probably going about a shot a second. The minimal recoil from the .32 acp round in this steel pistol made that pretty easy.

Accuracy was decent as can be seen in the pic below. That is a reduced silhouette roughly 15" wide. Shooting was done offhand at 10 yards. My first 3-4 groups with the Fiocchi were actually tighter than this (no, really!), but I am more than happy with the results. Not only was it consistent but the Fiocchi FMJ shot roughly the same point of aim as the Federal HP.

picture.php

I plan to shoot some Gold Dot, Cor-Bon and Winchester Silver Tip as well to find the most consistent HP round. Overall I like this pistol very much. I already liked the model and the chambering in .32 acp gives a high capacity, low recoil alternative.

Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I have coveted that gun for a little while now. To me, it is beautiful. If I could find one not beaten to smithereens - and reasonable - I'd buy it. .32 or Mak.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Nice little shooter, John. I bet it is a soft shooter in .32. I can't make myself carry anything less than a 9mm these days. I guess I read too much of the caliber wars stuff on :ingo: :D

For the umpteenth time I am again looking for an 82 or an 83. I get them, clean them up, shoot them for a while...then sell them. Not sure why. There are some surplus 83s online I have been looking at. I would really prefer the 9x18 but ammo is a pain to find and could dry up if Obama decides to shut down ammo imports. So I am torn, again.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Try some Buffalo Bore 32 ACP 75gr hardcast F.N.(1150 fps/M.E. 220 FT.LBS.) Read the info on the site for some eye opening writing.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    15 rounds??? :drool:
    I am very partial to the .32 round as it is a total blast to shoot.

I know, right? 15 rounds of man-stopping fury. Happened to look and found Midway had Fiocchi FMJ in stock for around $15/50, so another case on the way. I think I will be shooting this more often.

Top Bottom