• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Anybody have any experience with the CZ-82s in 9x18 that I see on sale certain places. They are used and rated at good to very good. I have zero experience with that cartridge.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Somewhat less performance than a typical 9x19 or .38 Special; somewhat more than a 9x17 (.380 ACP.)

Google is your friend. Lots of info out there.

My personal experience include a couple of "true" Makarov (PM) pistols: a Bulgarian and an East German. Also a P64 Polish - NOT a "true" Makarov but still chambered in 9x18 "Makarov" cartridge.

The CZ82 is also not a true Makarov pistol but a handgun chambered for the Mak ammo. They get generally good reviews. The 9x18 was designed as the hottest ammo to be used in a handgun that could still operate through direct blowback.

I suppose it all depends on what role you want for the gun...

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I have a CZ82 and I also have an E German Makarov, I think I like the CZ better. The Makarov was quite a bit more expensive, holds fewer rounds, and the safety (being attached to the slide) has a nasty tendency to take a chunk of skin off of your thumb knuckle. Very accurate and easy to shoot gun though. The CZ is also very accurate and the relatively light recoil makes it too very easy to shoot. The grip is shaped very much like my CZ75 compact, which I like. The trigger is a little mushy, but for $180 I dont think you can beat em. I'm thinking seriously about getting another one while they are cheap.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I have not shot the CZ, but I have a P64 chambered in 9x18mm. The round is not very common and choices in it are very limited. I shoot Bear ammo in FMJ, and HP. Both rounds produce a stiff recoil in my gun, and casings are ejected about 30 feet straight back because of stiff springs and a blow back design ejection. My Ruger blackhawk with 4 5/8" barrel firing the .357 magnum round has less recoil than this little monster. It is the only gun I shoot that I use a shooting glove to help with the recoil/twisting that this gun seems to do when shot. It only cost $150 and is a truck gun, and only sees about 50 rounds a year at the range.
    p003.jpg

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I got one and I think its a wonderful little pistol. Very comfortable to hold and fire but it does have just a bit of excessive muzzle flip but because its a small blowback gun and the round is between 9mm and 380 it can be expected. Dont be a wuss hold it down lol. They have polygonal rifling and it is very accurate for what it is and the price and I havnt had any failures or jams yet. I have large hands and I get a bit of hammer bite but I grip a bit to high. You get alot of gun for the money to. Ammo can be a bit hard to find but its reasonable still online. Hornady has come out with a defensive round in the critical defense line and I hope it will be more reliable than the Silver Bear HPs which tend not to expand but regardless if you carry it and the round doesnt expand you still put a hole is someone and if that doesnt stop the situation well then repeat as many times necessary.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    They are cheap, but fire a round that will knock the BG down. Not anyone's first choice in a defensive handgun, but better than a stick if that's all you can afford.
    I have seen some in gun shops that look really rough, but will have to say the couple of guns I have ordered from J&G Sales cleaned up nicely.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Your first choice for a defensive handgun should be the one that you shoot most accurately, a well placed hit with a .22lr is infinately better than a miss with a .44mag, and a CZ82 is an easy gun to shoot accurately. Ammo is not something you are going to find at WalMart, but can be had for under $10 a box from a number of online sources.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I got a CZ 82 a couple of weeks ago and I really like it. I found bulk ammo (Silver Bear) on the Interwebz for under $10 a box for FMJ and just a bit more than that for JHP. This is one of the easiest shooting guns I have ever had. If it were a bit smaller it would make a great pocket gun. As it is it makes a great truck gun. I am now on the lookout for other "Eastern Block" guns. I have heard that the P64 is a great gun if you can handle a snappy recoil. The Makarovs are also highly spoken of. I am enjoying my foray behind the old Iron Curtain. Hope you enjoy yours too.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Makarovs are nice little guns too. They are more expensive than CZ82s and prices vary depending on where they were made, Bulgarians run around $250, E German about $100 more and Russian somewhere in between. They are single stack and hold 8 rounds, and have to keep the thumb low or the slide mounted safety will take a chunk of skin off the knuckle. I like the trigger in the Mak better, accuracy is just as good.

This is an E German Makarov
    IMG_0706.jpg

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I picked up a CZ-82 (which I have wanted for years) when I got a bunch of Mak ammo cheap. Great gun. Smooth action and feels great in my hand. I like it so much I made it my carry gun.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I've had a CZ-82 since 2005. Laser accurate, holds 12 rounds, and is 100% reliable. Good ergonomics and can be found for less than $220. 9x18 is in between .380 and 9mm in performance. Purchase Russian steel case ammo and you don't have to chase empties around the range.

luckee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    NWI
    Great gun, I picked up mine from Cabelas last year when they had a special promo. If there are any GShows in your area you will not have any trouble finding ammo as most of the ammo vendors stock the Maharov round. I also have a PA 63 which also shoots the same rounds.

Top Bottom