• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Here is the deal. Dad wants a 1911, but is unwilling to spend the $$$ on a "good one." I'm trying to steer him away from the 1911 just to get him into something good without spending a bundle. Is there a decent 1911 that will suit him. He is not going to range a lot, it is simply for his retired security position. I did get him talked into saving a bit on going with a 9mm 1911. So what is your experience and recommendations?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Here is the deal. Dad wants a 1911, but is unwilling to spend the $$$ on a "good one." I'm trying to steer him away from the 1911 just to get him into something good without spending a bundle. Is there a decent 1911 that will suit him. He is not going to range a lot, it is simply for his retired security position. I did get him talked into saving a bit on going with a 9mm 1911. So what is your experience and recommendations?

well, some folks like the cheaper 1911's, but I certainly don't. Possibly a good used one?

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I shot one......hated it. Awful trigger, lousy ergos.

Of course the number one concern to anyone inquiring about purchasing a hand gun is making sure it feels right.
    I'll have to go opposite of jgreiner, though. Coming from someone that's spoiled with an Apex'd M&P9 Pro trigger,
    I thought the RIA 1911 45 felt pretty smooth. Then again, it's just a very different style.
    If he's sold on a basic (but good quality) 1911, the RIA is a great choice; Otherwise, I'd strongly encourage finding a used high end 1911.

I think the question you need to do is ask your dad exactly WHY he's wanting a 1911...
    Nothing against it, I'm a 1911 nut (as many are); but it's one of those purchases that you can't go into with the mentality of wanting cheap.

If it's security, get him set up with an M&P9 or G19. They go bang, are easy to tear down/clean and are proven to work well without complicating it.

Just my .02

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Got a budget in mine?

Is he a proficient shooter? Has he shot a 1911 before?

1911 is a great gun in the right hands. If he is not much of a shooter, but will use it for a security related job, and has not shot much or specifically is not overly familiar with 1911's, I'd probably have him look at a few other firearms as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I shot one......hated it. Awful trigger, lousy ergos.

I have shot a few different RIA 1911 and no 2 felt the same. It is just a low end piece and as stated already you get what you pay for. I hear so little about Para Ordinance in these threads and am surprised. I own now and have owned several with absolutely no issues except for normal wear and tear. I lost count of the rounds cycled through my P-12 and have had to replace the extractor recently, that is all and have shot it relentlessness since new in 1995.
    They offer a Gov. model single stack mag. that is fairly priced and reliable. Again, I have one and it is a good every day carry/shooter. Mid $500 depending on where you shop. I would recomend this piece to any 1st time 1911 buyer over the Rock Island. JMHO

Last edited:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    He can get a good Springfield GI 1911 for $399.00 ish, its only about 50.00 more than the R.I.A 1911.. Its the best of both worlds price and quality.
    A Rock for $350. Springer GI for $400?
    I haven't seen that for a while.
    Where do you find these prices?
    I may have to make a road trip. :)

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    If he needs it for a job, might want to check what they require. I have a friend of mine that works securely for a armored car company. She always carried a 1911 until they changed the rules to a firearm that does not have a outside safety. She went to a Sig 228 because of the changes.

If it is home protection, then what every he is comfortable with. Might look at revolvers as well as the 1911. Revolver would be easier to use if he does not have the time or money to train with a 1911.

Top Bottom