• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I met a guy who works as a Conservation Officer and he said that possession limit was not well defined in Indiana.

Federal regulated species are considered in your possession even if they are processed and in your freezer.

Species not federally regulated may be subject to a less strict "field possession limit" which applies to unprocessed game in the field or in transport, but not processed and in your freezer.

He said the stricter possession limit will be applied by default and you should never assume you can argue that processed game doesn't count.

See this link:
    http://www.in.gov/portal/news_events/72262.htm

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    Possession limit is two times the daily bag limit, I thought it was pretty simple. If you have 10 rabbits in your freezer you cannot shoot anymore.

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    That's the point, it's not so simple in Indiana.

Some states adopt the Federal Definition for all game, some states adopt the less strict "possession = field possession = unprocessed" limit for non-federally regulated game. Indiana, however, has not come down clearly on either side. So, if your neighbor tells the IDNR that you have a freezer full of squirrels and rabbits, and you do, you are in murky waters.

There was a thread on here a while ago about freezers with 200+ squirrels in them.

I also found this one:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_great_outdoors/65963-bag_limit_vs_possession_limit.html

Notice that the link in my OP is from August 2011.

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I was sweating for a minute, until I realized Indiana doesn't have a possession limit for caribou.

It would be fun to watch a guy try to reassemble one from parts though.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Possession limit is two times the daily bag limit, I thought it was pretty simple. If you have 10 rabbits in your freezer you cannot shoot anymore.

Rabbits have no "FEDERAL restrictions bag limits" the same for squirrel

so I assume this law pertains to Federal migratory game / birds (geese , ducks ect.)

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    The issue is adjoining states, like Ohio, have different regulations, and there are also differences when considering fishing and not just hunting.

For example, Indiana has a daily limit and possession limit on crappie. If a crappie is in your freezer Indiana considers it in your possession. Ohio has a daily/possession limit on perch. If it is in your freezer, it is not in your possession. Indiana will count the frozen crappie. Ohio won't. People will go fishing and the boat or vehicle may have a cooler with yesterday's cleaned fish in it. This don't really happen with squirrel hunting. So, the fish regs and hunting regs don't line up perfectly, and there is ambiguity in the hunting regs as to what possession really means - or your person or vehicle, or cleaned and in your fridge, cooler or freezer.

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    DNR: Rule/Regulation Changes

POSSESSION LIMIT RULE PACKAGE
    The Divisions of Law Enforcement and Fish and Wildlife have proposed amendments to several rules in 312 IAC 9 to clarify that harvested wild animals that are processed and retained at the individual’s primary residence are no longer considered part of the possession limit for that wild animal. For example, carcasses of squirrels that are skinned and located in the individual’s freezer at their primary residence would no longer be considered to be part of that individual’s possession limit for squirrels.
    Currently, there are different interpretations about whether or not the possession limit of a wild animal applies to packaged meat or filets wrapped and located in a person’s freezer in his/her home. The Division of Law Enforcement established a committee to review this issue and develop recommendations. Officers have also reviewed other state’s laws relative to possession limits, and several other states either already have or are in the process of changing their laws to clarify when the possession limit applies.
    Therefore, the DNR has proposed to exempt wild animals (including fish) that have been processed, as defined in 312 IAC 9-1-12.6, and stored at the individual’s primary residence, as defined in 312 IAC 9-1-12.5, from the possession limit for that species of animal. Provisions are also made in 312 IAC 9-2-8 to allow an individual to carry harvested animals for another person while in the field or transporting from the field and to authorize the gifting of carcasses of wild animals from the hunter to another individual. The DNR has also modified the definition of “possession” in 312 IAC 9-1-12 to deal with various interpretations of “possession” of both live and dead animals.
    The changes to 312 IAC 9-5-6 governing the collection and possession of reptiles and amphibians are needed to clarify the daily bag limit and possession limits for these species. This rule currently states that a person can take and possess no more than 4 of most species of reptiles and amphibians, but it does not specify live or dead and does not establish a taking period (season) for species other than bullfrogs and green frogs. Therefore, the DNR is proposing a 365-day taking period (season) to match the license year (a hunting or fishing license is required to take them from the wild) and make the limit 4 per year (April 1 through March 31 of the following year).
    View the proposed rule language.
    You can give your comments regarding these proposed changes to the Natural Resources Commission by going to Natural Resources Commission website and click on "Comment on Proposed Rule" next to the Wild Animal Possession Limit amendments. Comments can also be mailed to the following address:

Natural Resources Commission
    Indiana Government Center North
    100 North Senate Ave., Room N501
    Indianapolis, IN 46204

Individuals can also provide comments at one of the public hearings. The public hearings will be held at 6 pm (EST) as follows:

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Spring Mill Inn, Elm Room
    Spring Mill State Park
    3333 St. Rd. 60 East
    Mitchell, IN 47446

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Peru Public Library
    102 East Main Street
    Peru, IN 46970

All public comments must be submitted no later than Wednesday, December 7, 2011. All comments sent to the Natural Resources Commission regarding these rule changes will be provided to Commission members and Department of Natural Resources staff and will be publicly disclosed and searchable on the internet and in a paper docket as part of the final report.
    The Natural Resources Commission will have an opportunity to review all of the public comments before making a final decision at a meeting next year.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Why would somebody ever tell anybody what they had in their freezer?

If I had a freezer, I wouldn't tell anybody what was in it. Sadly, I no longer have a freezer. It was destroyed in a freak accident along with all of my guns and ammo.

Top Bottom