• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I just got a new-to-me Dan Wesson 15-2 and on my first trip to the range, the trigger wouldn't reset after firing. The cylinder would rotate, the hammer would fall, the round would fire, but the trigger wouldn't reset. I figured I'd share the experience with you.

Not being one to rely on someone else to help me, I set out to troubleshoot it.

Suspecting that it was probably just dirty at best, or had a broken or bent spring at worst, I removed the grips and opened up the sideplate.

20111113121404.jpg

It was dry as a bone in there, so I oiled the it and inspected the springs for any problems. Everything seemed ok, so I put the sideplate back on.

The oil really helped the trigger pull and action out, but it still wouldn't reset. :xmad:

Using a feeler gauge, I checked the cylinder gap. It's about .004 which is a bit tight, but there's no contact with the forcing cone, so I eliminated that as a cause. The proper gap for these is .006.

That's when I noticed this little allen-head screw on the rear of the trigger.
    20111113123324.jpg

This is the over-travel set screw. It had worked itself inward a bit and was causing the reset problem. With a bit of adjustment, and some blue loctite, this revolver is now running just fine!

I hope this helps someone down the road. Happy Shooting!

20111113121404.jpg

Top Bottom