• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Just got a humbling letter in the mail - I was declined health insurance coverage from my application last week. I'm 32 and have gout. I disclosed this on my application and that is what the decline was for (gout). My work is discontinuing the group plan due to the cost. I applied for an HSA through the same company for my family of 4. Wife and girls are insurable; I'm not.

I applied to another large carrier but got to answer 'yes' to the question about being previously declined. I'm not feeling very confident that company B will offer a different outcome.

Any of you guys been declined? What do you do? I'm smart enough that I won't subject my house and assets to living without coverage. Where to look? Who to talk to? I'm freaking out because I lose coverage at the end of this month.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Can't belive you got denied for gout! While it is a seriously painful disease, have a little problem with it myself. It's not deadly like heart disease or cancer. You should be able to find some kind of coverage. Unemployed right now and have to go with my wife's more exspensive coverage. Good luck!

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Thought they werent "allowed" to based on obamacare?

That part is not effective yet, the requriements are being phased in over the next 2-3 years.

You may be able to convert your group coverage to individual. Contact your employer or go straight to the insurance company. It's not cheap but you can do it. You may be eligible for COBRA conversion too, there is a time limit so check right away.

You can also get "short term" coverage from some companies up to six months at a time. They have good benefits and a low price for people that are between jobs or waiting for other benefits to kick in. Underwirting is much less stirct because they don't cover any pre-existing conditions.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Actually if you have proof of prevoius coverage for a condition. I don't think they can deny coverage. But that may be just for group covrage. I know I have a letter from my former group insurance carrier just for that situation.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Actually if you have proof of prevoius coverage for a condition. I don't think they can deny coverage. But that may be just for group covrage. I know I have a letter from my former group insurance carrier just for that situation.

That's only for transfering from one group policy to another, not going from group insurance to individual coverage.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am in a similar situation. I currently have private health insurance but it is a "closed" plan or whatever the terminology is. As a result, it is extremely expensive. After getting the policy 10+ years ago, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and now religiously use a cpap machine. I average less than $100.00 a year in medical expenses yet I can not find a single company that will write a policy. Thus I am stuck with paying over $700/month for the old policy with no way to switch.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Sadly, this is the insurance system many on here believe is just fine. Sorry you are getting denied, you deserved to be covered like every one else.

Top Bottom