• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Pick up an Encore frame $350 +/-, do your research in the mean time (1.8" cartridges may be legal by 2011) on what barrel to put on it.

I'm currently most fond of the 454 Casull for a "standard caliber", shoot 45 Colt in it if you like.

If the 1.8" regulation goes through, get a 460 S&W and shoot all three through it.

:+1:

1. H&R Handi-Rifle "SB2". Pick a "rifle caliber" you like, then send it in and have them put on a barrel for the pistol caliber you like (.44 Mag IMHO if you don't reload). If you get the rifle in a pistol caliber to start on the SB1 frame, you won't be able to put "rifle caliber" barrel on it later.

(If you reload, you can always rechamber a .357 Mag to .357 Max which can match .35 Rem ballistics with a 180-200gr bullet)

2. T/C Encore (same comments on calibers above apply)

3. A lever action in .44 Mag, .45 Colt, or .357.

I will put in another vote for the T/C Encore platform. The advantage is the easy barrel changes and with the custom makers there are so many options for other non standard chamberings.

TC Encore Pro Hunter in 357 max :) If you do a quick search on here this topic has been discussed quite extensively.

Hello thefinnnwi,
    Eveyone is giving you some very good information here. I would go with the Encore myself for the reason stated in this thread. And with what fireball168 has said, that is what I am thinking also. I was going to get a custom made TC Barrel in 460S&W but the Custom Shop is not taking orders at this time due to the plant being closed and relocated.
    But you need to go with what you like and are interested in so you will be happy with it. I agree with kludge about if you reloading or not. If you do not reload some of the rounds (357max, 454 & 460) can be hard to find and costly over the 357mag or 44mag. With the 357max you can put 357mag or 38's down the tube also as with the 460, shooting 454 and 45 LC.
    I do think that if the 1.8" regulation does go through the 460 S&W will be the way to go.
    :dunno::dunno: Just a bit more to confuse you.

one more

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The Rossi lever guns at around $450 new. I picked up a 24" new/used octagonal barrel in 44 mag for $400. I would have rather had the 20" round for lighter weight.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    44limited2jpg.jpg

Picture this with a 4x scope. Salty, but worth it. Marlin 1894 Cowboy II Limited. .44 mag. Good accuracy, fast followups. Feels like a real rifle in your hands. If you have any inkling you want a lever action, Just suck it up, get the one you really want now. You'll only cry the once when you pay for it. And thank you so much for your service to your country.

awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    .44 mag H&R Handi Rifle, i own one and the thing is a tac driver at 150 yards and in, havnt tried it any further. i promise youl love it. i got mine for 260 brand new in box. and if you look hard enough you can find it a little cheaper, Good luck! hope your happy with what ya get!

ps. thanks for serving.:ar15::ar15:

+1 for the Handi Rifle, same gun i use to deer hunt!
    The .44 plays hell on a deer!

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I use a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. It shoots straight, hits hard and is easy to carry and shoot. I slobberknocked a 10 point 141 6/8 163 lb buck last year and flipped a doe 180 degrees on her back this year. I load my own Hornady 240 XTP and get about 1600 fps. The Pumas are a little cheaper than the marlin but its harder to put a scope on them as they are top eject and Marlins are side eject. good luck.

bigjross2002

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    If you can get a good deal on it I would say the Ruger Deerfield. You will have to find a used one because they discontinued them but I love the rifle. They can be had for under 700 bucks too.

Foxfire

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Seymour
    +1 on the lever gun if you both like them. But whatever you chose follow through. Those will be memories you both will cherish.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom