• ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Hello,

Looking for a good ammo choice for my 642 .38 spl +p carry gun. I've been using Speer, but it seems to have hard primers, and occasionally I get a light strike that requires me to pull back around and hit it a second time. I like the accuracy, but the light strikes are way too common. The gun is bone stock. No trigger work, etc.

Thanks!
    -rvb

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have used the Corbon 110gr DPX 38spl+P in my S&W 442, functioned 100%.

(Note, I traded off my J-frame for lack of use.)

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    I would HIGHLY suggest 130 grain Winchester Bonded PDX1 38 Sp +P. It's a premium self defense round with amazing ballistics. My wife carries it in her S&W 642 and I have carried it in my LCR .357 as well (before switching over to .357 defensive rounds by Buffalo Bore).

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I would HIGHLY suggest 130 grain Winchester Bonded PDX1 38 Sp +P. It's a premium self defense round with amazing ballistics. My wife carries it in her S&W 642 and I have carried it in my LCR .357 as well (before switching over to .357 defensive rounds by Buffalo Bore).

Per Dr. Gary K. Roberts, Letterman Army Institute of Research:
    "Currently, the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P JHP and Barnes 110 gr XPB all copper JHP (for ex. in the Corbon DPX loading) offer the most reliable expansion we have seen from a .38 sp 2” BUG; the Winchester 130 gr bonded +P JHP (RA38B) and Hornady 110 gr standard pressure and +P Critical Defense loads also offer good performance out of 2" barrel revolvers."

Source:
    BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Speer Gold Dot 135gr Short-Barrel +P
    ^^^^^^^We are issued this and I have shot it quite a bit out of my 642. Never had a single problem with it. Seems to be the best snubbie ammo at the moment, hard to find locally. I carry it with 100% confidence it it's ability to protect me/my brothers/my family.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Maybe with the amount of Speer love going on, you may want to get your revolver checked out - any of the fans ever have trouble with hard primers?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    My two favorite factory 38 loads are the Speer and Federal's Standard Pressure Nyclad (125 or 158). Plus, with the Federal load you get a nice soft Federal primer.

I've never had any trouble lighting off the Speer load in any of my j's (or k's or l's).

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Hello,

Looking for a good ammo choice for my 642 .38 spl +p carry gun. I've been using Speer, but it seems to have hard primers, and occasionally I get a light strike that requires me to pull back around and hit it a second time. I like the accuracy, but the light strikes are way too common. The gun is bone stock. No trigger work, etc.

Thanks!
    -rvb

I'd be more interested in what's wrong with the gun rather than changing ammo. Factory springs or have the hammer and rebound springs been changed?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Hello,

Thanks!
    -rvb
    I don't know about the 642, but I have an adjustment screw, on my mod. 19, so with a screwdriver, I can adjust my spring, and make my hammer hit as hard or as light as I want .....

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I don't know about the 642, but I have an adjustment screw, on my mod. 19, so with a screwdriver, I can adjust my spring, and make my hammer hit as hard or as light as I want .....
    642 the springs have to be changed out to change pressure.

I lightened the spring on my 642 but I haven't shot the ammo the OP had problems with so I can't attest one way or the other...

Top Bottom