• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Ok, so I am sure I have seen this information before, but have been searching the site for a while and cannot locate the link again. I am trying to find in the Indiana Code where it defines "school". My understanding is that it is limited to K-12, but everybody knows you don't trust what someone types, so I am looking for a citation of the code or a link. Someone on the Student's for Concealed Carry on Campus group asked for this info, and as I know I have seen it, I figured I would enlist your help.

I appreciate it, as I know this topic has already been covered:horse:

but my research here and the IN.gov site turn up zilch.
    Thanks.
    P.S. I love the beating-a-dead-horse emoticon.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Indiana Code 35-41-1

IC 35-41-1-24.7
    "School property" defined
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).
    As added by P.L.296-1987, SEC.4. Amended by P.L.34-1991, SEC.27; P.L.9-1991, SEC.95; P.L.2-1992, SEC.880; P.L.81-1992, SEC.38; P.L.1-1993, SEC.240; P.L.160-1994, SEC.1; P.L.1-2005, SEC.227; P.L.145-2006, SEC.370.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    From what I've read, a university doesn't count as a school. All we really need to fight for is for the Universities to change their policies.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    From what I've read, a university doesn't count as a school. All we really need to fight for is for the Universities to change their policies.

I disagree. That is an important fight, but as you say, a matter of policy rather than law.

It's far more important that we get the law changed so that our License to Carry is valid in schools and on school grounds.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Nate, I am not a part of the IU-SCCC facebook group but am on the national facebook group. We can get together at mother bear's sometime if you like. I have been stumping this week around campus, though not today due to other obligations. Maybe tonight. The campus leader and I passed out fliers by sample gates on tuesday, and it was somewhat productive. Maybe again tonight, or tomorrow afternoon possibly. PM me if you want a cell number so you can join us.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    I disagree. That is an important fight, but as you say, a matter of policy rather than law.

It's far more important that we get the law changed so that our License to Carry is valid in schools and on school grounds.

Agreed, our LTC should cover anywhere and everywhere we decide to go. I'm fed up of the hand picking of which natural rights, as illustrated in our constatution, we can have or not have.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As a noted and brilliant pro-gun attorney noted recently (who is also a classy dresser, a smooth dancer and a heck of a guy) all we need to do is add less than 12 words to the Indiana Code to create an exemption for all holders of LTCH from Indiana or any other state or nation.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI

I agree! We should be able to carry in schools (and other places but I will leave that for another thread)

Buckaroo

Top Bottom