• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Went on a hunting trip years ago. As the six of us lie in our sleeping bags we carried on a coversation about kids misbehaving and the meds some docs had em on. One guys says, "I knew a guy on Ritalin that killed some people." Then the conversation went from butt beat'ns work'n to more meds. Finally after everyone got quiet, one of the new hunters in the group who had not contributed anything to the conversation made a sobering statement. He said, "I'm not a kid but I do take Ritalin." You could have heard a pin drop.

Thank goodness all the knives and artillary was outside in the trailer. LOL

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I agree with CindyE. The medication cannot harm when taken as prescribed, and may be beneficial. Zoloft (Sertraline) will not affect any activities this person normally does, and may substantially improve the quality of life for this young person. If in doubt, check with another practitioner. Side effects usually occur within the first 2 weeks, and are minimal. You can check the FDAs website Sertraline Official FDA information, side effects and uses. for more information.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    So me thanking someone for their opinion only means I am a jerk? Not sure how you came to that conclusion.
    If you were sincerely thanking them for sharing their story, then you have my apology. I read it differently based on you only comments being about how it was not you, your son ("I don't even have a son") or your situation. Again, only you know your intensions so if I misread I am sorry.

I hope your friend finds the information he needs to make an informed decision. Here are some places I would look at for a more robust review of pros and cons. I think we call all agree that the Mayo Clinic, National Institute of Mental Health, and the FDA are great sources for this type of info.

I also think you can request the thread to be closed if that is your desire.

Antidepressants for children: Explore the pros and cons - MayoClinic.com

NIMH · Antidepressant Medications for Children and Adolescents: Information for Parents and Caregivers

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/drugsafety/informationbydrugclass/UCM161646.pdf

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Went on a hunting trip years ago. As the six of us lie in our sleeping bags we carried on a coversation about kids misbehaving and the meds some docs had em on. One guys says, "I knew a guy on Ritalin that killed some people." Then the conversation went from butt beat'ns work'n to more meds. Finally after everyone got quiet, one of the new hunters in the group who had not contributed anything to the conversation made a sobering statement. He said, "I'm not a kid but I do take Ritalin." You could have heard a pin drop.

Thank goodness all the knives and artillary was outside in the trailer. LOL

That awkward real quick....lol

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I agree with CindyE. The medication cannot harm when taken as prescribed, and may be beneficial. Zoloft (Sertraline) will not affect any activities this person normally does, and may substantially improve the quality of life for this young person. If in doubt, check with another practitioner. Side effects usually occur within the first 2 weeks, and are minimal. You can check the FDAs website Sertraline Official FDA information, side effects and uses. for more information.

As a Zoloft user (I take a very low dose for anxiety), I agree and disagree. I think it CAN harm some people, but it is probably very rare. I think it is right to be concerned about young people using this kind of medication. The 2 week thing is very noteworthy. When I started taking Zoloft, it was horrible (depression), and I'm sure that at least some of that could be attributed to the drug. After 1.5 to 2 weeks it was like flipping a switch. I could tell the day I woke up and the drug was actually working for me that something was different. It's really been great for me, but there ARE side effects in my case.

If taking this type of med for anxiety/depression, I think it is a very good idea to be going to therapy at the same time. If a person is truly in a pattern of depression, CBT (or the like) can be more powerful than any drug.

One thing to note is that Zoloft has a wide range of doses...from as little as 25mg up to 300mg on the high end (I think).

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Caleb...You have no idea how awkward it became. We all returned home as friends and nobody was the worse off for it. I;m glad they weren't talking about how dounts make ya fat.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    i had to gradually increase my dose, so i had the initial side-effects longer. i was especially worried about not being able to sleep, but i didn't have a lot of trouble with that. Heartburn was bad for a few weeks, and i rarely had it before. I'm glad i stuck with it though. It's not "magic", i still have anxiety/depression, but not as bad, and i don't feel as bad physically. Hoping to taper off of it one of these days, when counselor thinks i should, but i'm not in a hurry.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    awkward joke that's really not funny"

Lighten up pal.

"I know what it's like." I have a daughter who has boughts with depression but it ain't the end of the world.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    When I was in high school, a friend of mine died in a car accident. He was a great guy, and everyone liked him, it sucked that he died. There was an announcement over the PA the he had died, everyone was sad, and that was it.

Now when a school kid get's killed, if it's a car accident, whatever, our society feels a team of counselors must be sent in to help kids "deal" with it. That is where our society has failed. They/we have created a generation of crybaby pussies who just can't deal with anything negative happening, and unfortunately, doctors have been on the front line in helping to sedate the masses.

Your friend needs to get his son off of that crap and find a sensible doctor. Worry about going shooting after he gets off the drugs.
    AMEN to that !!!!! :twocents:

Top Bottom